31 Germania Street
Do you want to help entrepreneurs succeed at making their business their livelihood --put food on the table, pay rent, support the education of their children? Do you want to make a difference in the lives of women, minority and immigrant business owners and their families? If you’ve answered “yes” to these questions, then this job opportunity is for you! Come join us! Use your creativity to solve every day “make it or break it” challenges to businesses’ operations and finance. Work with a dynamic team of professionals with solid expertise in business development and financial coaching, all while developing tangible skills in bookkeeping and accounting, marketing and business planning.
The Jamaica Plain Neighborhood Development Corporation (JPNDC) is a 43-year-old community development corporation. Our mission is to transform the lives and amplify the voices of Boston residents who have been excluded from prosperity by an inequitable economic system. We develop affordable housing that allows people to thrive, provide services that help people build on their strengths, and organize people to pursue the changes they desire.
JPNDC’s Small Business Services (SBS) has over 20 years of experience providing technical assistance, training and financing to local small businesses owned by recent immigrants, minorities and women. Core activities include the delivery of high touch high quality technical assistance and training to small businesses, and direct lending from JPNDC’s Microloan Fund. To date JPNDC has facilitated over $12M in capital for over 150 businesses. The Small Business Services Associate will support the preparation of clients for 1-1 coaching by assisting the teaching of training workshops and by completing tasks that move clients through the business formalization process. The Associate will also provide technical assistance to JPNDC Family Child Care providers and assist the production of events for participants of the Small Contractors Success Initiative (SCSI).
The Associate will provide 1-1 coaching and technical assistance to small business owners and JPNDC Family Child Care providers by completing tasks that move clients through the JPNDC formalization-of-a-small business process. The Associate will also assist the teaching of SBS training workshops.
Provide 1-1 coaching and technical assistance to small business owners.
● Create and/or update business documents: financial statements, business plans, marketing plans.
● Prepare clients to access JPNDC Microloan Fund loans.
● Conduct surveys to identify technical assistance needs.
● Other tasks as assigned by the SBS Director.
● Provide 1-1 coaching and technical assistance to JPNDC family child care providers.
● Support the Family Child Care Director and the Education Director to design and facilitate training activities for family child care providers.
● Update business documents. Create and/or update business plans. Complete and submit applications, audits, and renewals for workers compensation insurance. Create and/or update contracts between the educators and their employees. ● Support the Education Director: Provide information to create small business development curricula.
● Assist the teaching of SBS training workshops.
● Support the Education Coordinator: Conduct outreach using social media and flyers, manage communications with clients, and additional logistics.
● Bilingual in English and Spanish REQUIRED.
● Bachelor’s or Associate’s on business management, or a related economic development field (ex: Urban planning, Accounting, Marketing) REQUIRED.
● Demonstrated knowledge of financial computer spreadsheets and software applications REQUIRED.
● Ability to prioritize and work under pressure in a deadline oriented environment.
● Strong written and visual communication skills.
● Knowledge of popular education methodology.
● Strong commitment to social change.
● Flexible schedule, including occasional nights and weekend hours.
This is a full time salaried position with a generous benefits package. Salary negotiable depending on experience. Must be available for evening classes on a scheduled basis. Opportunity to participate in: MGCC Business Development Certificate Program.
Email cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org
No phone calls please. Positions open until filled