34 Washington Street
B’nai B’rith Housing (BBH) is seeking a Senior Real Estate Project Manager to join our team and embrace our mission to ease the housing crisis in the Greater Boston area.
The Organization and Its Accomplishments
B’nai B’rith Housing (BBH) is a Boston-based regional nonprofit housing developer. We believe that affordable housing is about strengthening neighborhoods, creating thriving cities, and giving every individual the opportunity to share in our area’s economic prosperity. Serving those in the community who are most vulnerable, B’nai B’rith Housing is guided by the values of chesed (love and kindness between people) and tikkun olam (repairing the world) from the Jewish tradition—universal values which connect us to other traditions and each other. While our work is non-sectarian in nature, these values serve as the guideposts of our work based in service to humanity, inclusion of others, and commitment to human dignity and prosperity for all.
We provide housing for all, regardless of religion or background, and are proud to say that more than a dozen ethnicities and immigrant communities are represented in the communities that we have created. We are activists and provide a platform for young advocates and up-and-coming leaders in the real estate industry to get involved in finding solutions for the housing crisis. We are entrepreneurs who harness expertise and resources from local, state, regional, and national agencies, financial institutions, the real estate industry, and affordable housing leaders. We are coalition builders who know that successful developments are built when parties are unified around a shared vision that meets community need. Understanding and enhancing the life of local residents is our goal. We focus on quality and integrity in our buildings and in our relationships with the communities in which we work.
Real Estate Development at B’nai B’rith Housing
Real Estate Development at BBH includes the creation of family, workforce and senior affordable housing projects. Our staff of seven include project managers, a Chief Operating Officer and administrative staff who report to our Executive Director. We frequently collaborate with nonprofit community partners, community development corporations and state and federal housing authorities. Our pipeline includes over 200 units of rental and homeownership projects in various stages of development.
We recently completed projects in Sudbury and Swampscott creating 94 new housing units. We are in construction on 60 units of family rental housing in West Roxbury and have permitted and secured funding for 63 units in Hyde Park. We are moving forward family, workforce and senior rental projects in other parts of Boston, Sudbury, and elsewhere, with a variety of partners.
Responsibilities of the Senior Real Estate Project Manager (SPM)
The SPM will report directly to the Executive Director. They will be a team player and a valued member of the management and real estate development teams.
The SPM will be responsible for all aspects of particular real estate development projects (typically 2-3 projects) at BBH from feasibility to stabilized occupancy. Specific responsibilities will include:
- Project planning, feasibility analysis, securing site control and maintaining project schedules
- Leading the response to municipal development opportunities including proposal development, submission coordination and the management of the competitive selection processes
- Soliciting, establishing and managing project teams and third-party vendors including architects, engineers, development consultants, attorneys, and other professional staff
- Facilitating the zoning and permitting process, including managing community relations and presentations
- Preparing applications, securing and managing pre-development, construction and permanent financing for complex multifamily financing structures
- Managing financial closings, relationships with financial partners, and compliance with financing requirements during the construction period
- Project management during the construction phase including the requisition process
- Managing and coordinating the marketing and lease-up with property management to achieve project lease-up or purchase schedule
- Providing project information as requested by staff, board and committees
- Assisting coworkers and supporting special projects as may be required, and
- Completion of additional duties as requested.
Our Ideal Candidate
- Our ideal candidate will be a highly motivated, entrepreneurial real estate professional with a commitment to coalition building and serving those in the community who are most vulnerable. They will have many of the following skills and experiences:
- At least 3 years of work in real estate development and housing production
- Master’s Degree in planning, finance, or community development (or the equivalent in additional work experience) preferred
- Proficiency in financial modeling and analysis
- Familiarity with Massachusetts affordable housing policies and programs a plus
- Experience with the permitting of and regulatory requirements of public financing for affordable housing, including low-income housing tax credits and HUD financing programs preferred
- Experience working with local officials and constituencies from diverse backgrounds
- Experience with contract administration
- Excellent computer skills including spreadsheet analysis, database management, and word processing
- Ability to work independently, manage multiple priorities and solve problems expeditiously
- Ability to work in a team, and
- A valid driver’s license and access to an automobile for offsite work-related meetings.
- This position requires some work on weekends and during evening hours.
Please submit a cover letter detailing your interest and your qualifications for this position, along with a resume to: http://annlsilverman.com/bnai-brith-senior-pm/. No phone calls or letters please. Questions can be addressed to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications will be reviewed and acknowledged as they are received. BBH seeks to fill this position by the spring of 2023.
BBH is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We encourage applications from candidates with diverse backgrounds and cultures. We offer a competitive salary and excellent benefits. This is an exempt employee position.