160 Federal Street
Are you looking to use your real estate development skills to support the production of affordable housing across Massachusetts? If you are looking for a role that will allow you to support local efforts to promote affordable multi-family housing, MHP is for you!
The Massachusetts Housing Partnership (MHP), a non-profit public agency, works with communities to create innovative policy and financing solutions that provide affordable homes and better lives for the people of Massachusetts. Our mission is to pioneer new development and financing models that make more effective use of public resources, be responsive to local needs, promote racial equity, and achieve greater impact than conventional approaches to affordable housing. MHP focuses on the following areas: Community Assistance, Rental Development and Portfolio Management, Homeownership and Data & Policy.
MHP is committed to diversity, equity and belonging, and providing an inclusive environment where everyone feels valued, welcomed, and respected.
MHP’s Community Assistance team provides technical assistance, education and support to communities, local housing authorities, and nonprofits to produce equitable, affordable housing across the state. We are searching for a seasoned professional who will be a leader within the team and a promoter of equity and inclusion in affordable housing. This position will principally be providing direct pre-development technical assistance and project management of third-party consultants to facilitate the disposition of surplus public real estate for the development of affordable housing. In addition, the Senior Real Estate Development Officer will assist with trainings, workshops, publications, and other direct and third-party technical assistance. Establishing relationships, gaining trust, and effectively communicating complex information to non-technical audiences are integral for success in the role.
Day-to-day responsibilities in this role will vary. This position offers the opportunity to do something different each day while making an impact on affordable housing options for residents of Massachusetts. Below are some of the key functions and responsibilities of this role.
- Support local efforts for the disposition of public land for affordable housing, including assessing and managing site specific pre-development due diligence, assessing the financial feasibility of the desired development, and preparing Requests for Proposals.
- Support the Executive Office of Housing and Livable Communities and local housing authorities’ efforts to dispose of surplus state public housing land for the development of affordable housing and/or redevelop existing public housing, by providing pre-development technical assistance and financial feasibility due diligence.
- Provide project management for third-party consultants providing pre-development technical assistance for both the disposition of public land and the redevelopment of public housing.
- Work with municipalities and housing authorities to assess community opportunities for new affordable housing production including community meetings and education about equitable, affordable housing needs, development, resources, strategies, and processes.
- Participate and support MHP’s training programs, in particular the annual Housing Institute.
- Foster relationships and develop regular communications with external partners and city and town officials.
- Represent MHP at external meetings and forums, including trade shows such as Massachusetts National Association of Housing Redevelopment Officials (MassNAHRO) and Massachusetts Municipal Association (MMA) events.
- The person is this role must be able to periodically attend events and community meetings during evening and weekend hours as needed
- Other duties as assigned to achieve the mission of MHP
The projected compensation for this role is $120,000 to $140,000. Any final offer will be based on various factors including job-related knowledge, skills, competencies, experience and needs for the role. The listed range is just one component of MHP's total compensation package for employees.
Benefits our employees value:
- MHP understands that benefits are an important consideration when looking for a new role. We are proud to offer our employees a comprehensive benefits package including:
- Hybrid and flexible work schedule
- Health insurance through the state’s Group Insurance Commission
- 403b retirement plans with match up to 10% and immediate vesting
- Annual 5-week paid time off (PTO) benefit
- Fully paid group term life, short-term disability, and long-term disability insurance
- Dental insurance through MetLife with 90% of premium covered by MHP
- Vision insurance through VSP with 50% of premium covered by MHP
- Medical and dependent care Flexible Spending Accounts
- Public transportation reimbursement
- Tuition reimbursement and professional development assistance
- First time homebuyer assistance
- Generous home office benefit
Hybrid Schedule Policy:
The Senior Real Estate Development Officer role is designated as Hybrid which includes both in-office and remote workdays. Positions designated as Hybrid work out of the Boston office two days per week during at first and may have the opportunity to work 1-2 days thereafter. At least one office day must be on Tuesday, the designated team day. MHP’s office is conveniently located minutes from South Station.
A current driver’s license and/or access to reliable transportation is required in order to attend community meetings as well as local and MHP events throughout the state.
Knowledge, Experience and Skills:
- A minimum of 5 years of demonstrated relevant experience in affordable housing pre-development, development, and financial modeling including, but not limited to
- pre-development assessment and analysis of site due diligence,
- creating and updating financial feasibility pro formas,
- responsibility over the pre-development of at least 2 projects.
- Demonstrated real estate development analysis skills
- High level working knowledge of Massachusetts affordable housing resources and policies.
- Working knowledge of state public housing policies and regulations preferred.
- Proven successful program development and project management skills
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Bachelor’s degree preferred. Experience working in affordable housing development with increased responsibilities may be substituted for a degree
MHP is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive workplace and is proud to be an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer. All decisions are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, past or present military service, status as an individual with a disability, or any other legally protected characteristics. MHP is committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential job functions.
If you are interested in joining our team, please complete a brief online application via our Careers page.
If you are interested in joining our team, please submit a cover letter and resume via our brief online application on our Careers page.