Home City Development, Inc. (Home City) seeks a Senior Real Estate Project Manager, to develop affordable housing and neighborhood improvement projects in Springfield (MA) and the surrounding Western Massachusetts communities.
The Organization and Its Programs
Home City develops and operates multi-family rental and mixed-use properties and supports community residents in the Greater Springfield area. Home City began in 1968 and continues today to:
- Restore or replace substandard housing with a supply of decent, affordable and well-managed housing for individuals and families, and
- Assist in the improvement of neighborhoods in partnership with residents, lenders and others who have a stake in the community.
Home City seeks to continue to improve the housing stock in greater Springfield, while serving the needs of vulnerable populations. We engage community residents in program activities to support workforce readiness, youth development and financial independence. We assist residents to access services such as fuel assistance, mediation, and case management.
Real Estate Development at Home City
We own 423 units in Springfield and Northampton. We partner with Housing Management Resources Inc., a nationally-recognized property management firm, to manage our properties.
We have an active pipeline of projects in construction and in development, including the substantial renovation of 136 units of affordable housing now in construction in the Mason Square neighborhood of Springfield. We expect to close on the financing for the renovation and expansion of an 104-unit Single Room Occupancy (SRO) property by the fall of 2018. We are in early discussion on a large workforce housing opportunity in downtown Springfield, and have received requests to partner on several other projects.
The Senior Project Manager
The Senior Project Manager will work closely with the Executive Director, Project Manager, consultants, property managers and others to complete new projects, continue to develop a project pipeline, and ensure the stability of our existing portfolio of properties. Responsibilities will include:
- Analyze project financial feasibility and evaluate ongoing project financial performance
- Identify development opportunities, including responding to Requests for Proposals and for Qualifications
- Prepare applications and secure commitment for pre-development resources, construction financing, permanent debt, equity investments, and subsidies
- Represent Home City with city officials, non-profit clients and other decision makers, providing strategic guidance to key partners on development issues as requested
- Manage and coordinate design, development and finance-related work during project pre-development and construction
- Develop project budgets
- Coordinate permitting, zoning and approval processes
- Develop and monitor project schedules, using industry scheduling software, such as MS PROJECT
- Review legal documents, including partnership and consultant agreements, to ensure that key business terms are captured
- Manage projects through completion, including quality control, budget monitoring, requisitions, and closings
- Oversee design and construction
- Manage and advise part and/or full-time staff as requested, and
- Perform other duties as needed and as assigned.
Our Ideal Candidate
Our ideal candidate is committed to our mission, hard-working, and experienced in affordable housing development. They will bring a deep respect for and understanding of the challenges that the poorest of our community face, a deep desire to help them succeed, and a strong interest in Western Massachusetts. They will possess many of the following skills and qualifications:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Real Estate, Business, Urban Planning, or a related field
- At least 5-6 years of experience working in multi-family affordable housing development, or in a closely related field
- Real estate transactional experience and understanding of affordable housing finance programs and applications, preferably in Massachusetts, including the Massachusetts One Stop
- Strong financial and analytical skills, including experience with financial modeling
- Excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication skills
- Proven ability to organize people, files, tasks and other elements of complex projects
- Familiarity with non-profits and with city government, and skill navigating complex organizations and multiple relationships
- Ability to assemble, correlate and analyze facts, to creatively conceptualize and implement customized solutions to problems, and to prepare concise summaries
- Expertise in Microsoft Office applications, particularly Excel, Project and Word
The Selection Process
Please submit one pdf document containing a cover letter, detailing your qualifications for this position and your salary requirements, along with a resume to: Ann L Silverman Consulting. Follow the link below to submit your resume. https://goo.gl/forms/fMOoxlijfcmimONz1 You will be asked to complete a short form, then upload your pdf document. No phone calls or letters please. Applications will be reviewed and acknowledged as they are received. Home City seeks to fill this position during the first quarter of 2018. Home City Development is an equal opportunity employer. See https://homecitydevelopment.org for more information about Home City Development.
Please submit one pdf document containing a cover letter, detailing your qualifications for this position and your salary requirements, along with a resume to: Ann L Silverman Consulting. Follow the link below to submit your resume. https://goo.gl/forms/fMOoxlijfcmimONz1 You will be asked to complete a short form, then upload your pdf document. No phone calls or letters please.
Applications will be reviewed and acknowledged as they are received.