430 Belmont st.
Father Bill’s & MainSpring is committed to ending and preventing homelessness in Southern Massachusetts with programs that provide emergency and permanent housing and help people obtain skills, jobs, housing, and services. We help people who are struggling with homelessness or are at risk of homelessness to achieve self-sufficiency.
Father Bill’s & MainSpring is a growing and dynamic social service agency with particular expertise in emergency and permanent housing, job training and placement, and prevention services for individuals and families in need. Over the next five years, our strategic focus includes an increase in affordable, permanent supportive housing, a more efficient model of care for families experiencing homelessness, commitment to an enhanced delivery model to reduce the need for shelter, and improved community relations in order to achieve these goals. Our staff are thoughtful and caring individuals who share our passion for these ideals and creative approaches to helping people improve their lives.
The Senior Director of Program Operations is a newly created position and will oversee all operations at our emergency shelter locations and congregate housing programs which require 24-hour staff support across Southern Massachusetts, spanning over 40 communities. This position directly supervises the Operations Directors for Individual Shelter, Family Shelter and Housing Operations and is responsible for all safety, security, and food services at the emergency shelter sites in the Central/South and Northern regions. This position requires an emphasis on employee relations skills as well as facility awareness. The Senior Director of Operations will work closely with their counterparts in Property Management and Program Services to ensure that buildings are providing a welcoming space to all program participants. This individual must have an understanding and empathy for those dealing with homelessness and other related issues. With the support of a team of Directors and managers, the Senior Director of Operations is responsible for oversight of over 100 employees, all operational activities for more than 30 public grants and contracts, as well as several private foundation grants.
FBMS has an excellent reputation and strong relationships with many public funders and nonprofit partners. It also has a longstanding commitment to program and strategic planning, and to evaluation of its performance outcomes and trends. This individual will continue to strengthen, develop, and expand this work. The ideal candidate will be a team player, must possess strong leadership and critical thinking skills and facilitate collaboration across multiple internal and external systems and programs.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Ensure all operations are working within a Housing First framework. Provide support to programs to monitor fidelity to the housing first model and make improvements where needed.
- Participate in strategic planning and program development as it relates to operations and building safety. Participate in the development and revision of agency and program specific policies and protocols; assist with and lead the implementation of new and/or revised policies and protocols related to participants and staff.
- Maintain in-depth knowledge about services and programs offered in the emergency shelters, housing and the community; work with appropriate personnel to increase services or modify services as needed. Familiarity with state and federally funded programming as well as the administration of a variety rental assistance programs.
- Develop and maintain relationships with both internal and external stakeholders (FBMS departments, community leaders, funders, among others), maintaining strong community reputation of the organization. Represent FBMS in the community at various events and meetings.
- Bring strategic, visionary, and collaborative thinking to the operations of the organization and implement initiatives to advance FBMS’ mission, goals and objectives.
- Facilitate collaboration on cross-departmental projects, challenges and opportunities, including Property Management and Program Development, Finance and Development teams.
- Be prepared to step into operational situations as needed and/or support the Management team in resolving crises and other guest and staff-related issues.
- Provide strategic leadership to a team of over 100 FBMS staff with a focus on strong performance management, retention, engagement and professional development.
- Develop regular reports on progress, budgets, and expenditures as it relates to various departmental activities, including staffing and overtime costs, building supply budget projections and staffing turnover.
- Monitor fund balances of assigned programs and related financial activity for the purpose of ensuring that expenses are within budget limits and/or fiscal practices are followed.
- In partnership with the Finance team, ensure the organization is operated on a sound fiscal basis.
- Participate in the annual budgeting process and ensure programs, projects and operations are administered and managed in accordance with budgetary guidelines and constraints.
Program Management and Operations
- Ensure effective management of FBMS operations, working with a team of Directors and supervisors and maintain appropriate internal controls and procedures.
- Work with management team to ensure adequate staffing and support to all facilities requiring 24/7 operation. This includes five congregate shelter sites and various housing projects in the community, as well as the food services.
- In partnership with Program Development/Compliance department, oversee monitoring and evaluation, ensuring accurate and timely reporting to ensure programs are meeting goals and objectives while maintaining compliance with all State and federal contracts. Interface with funders, identifying and resolving any concerns.
- When needed, work with managers and Human Resources to assess situations related to staff, participants, and operations, making appropriate decisions, referrals and recommendations when needed.
- Ensure smooth daily operations at each shelter site and buildings owned and operated by FBMS. Ensure the safety and security of the guests/participants, employees, while maintaining a low threshold, housing 1st framework.
- Ensure sites are met with adequate staffing and supervision. Monitor staffing needs and minimize use of overtime. Partner with Property Management team to address facility-related issues in a proactive and timely fashion.
- Support an environment of collaboration, communication and teamwork between operations and services staff, maintaining a singular focus of moving people into and sustaining a housing solution to their homelessness.
- Be prepared to de-escalate crisis situations and support staff in de-briefing difficult situations. Assess issues related to building operations.
- Master's degree in human service-related field preferred and 5-8 years of increasing responsibility within a nonprofit required. Minimum of 5+ years prior supervisory experience.
- Superb critical thinking and decision-making abilities, excellent project management and communication skills.
- Strategic vision and capacity to teach and develop leadership within the organization.
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain strong working relationships and influence multiple stakeholders.
- Expected to report to designated management personnel, without the threat of retaliation, any concerns regarding the company’s policies and procedures on privacy and any observed practices in violation of that policy.
- Demonstrated experience leading multiple teams.
Skills & Competencies:
- Empathy: An understanding and empathy for those dealing with homelessness and related issues.
- Professionalism: Maintains the highest level of professionalism in the delivery of services, building of relationships, collaboration with co-workers, and representation of Father Bill’s & MainSpring within the organization and the community.
- Communication: Speaks appropriately in positive and/or negative conversations with supervisors, co-workers, volunteers, donors and constituents; Articulates the goals of Father Bill’s & MainSpring.
- Record-Keeping: Routine clerical or record-keeping incidental to the essential responsibilities of the job (including, but not limited to, data entry and case file updates).
- Job Knowledge: Possesses the practical and technical knowledge required on the job.
- Attendance: Acceptable overall attendance record, consistently at work and on time.
- Reliability: Relied upon regarding task completion and follow-up. Follows instructions, responds to management direction and solicits feedback to improve performance.
- Initiative: Seeks out new assignments and is willing to be flexible with additional duties.
- Adherence to Policy: Follows safety and workplace expectations, regulations and processes as defined in the Employee Handbook.
- Work Ethic: Demonstrates a commitment to the Mission and adheres to the Operating Principles of Father Bill’s & MainSpring and works as part of a team toward a common goal.
- Safety & Security: Actively promotes and personally observes safety and security procedures and uses equipment and materials properly.
- Travel: Local travel may be required. Valid driver’s license and good driving record required.
- Physical Demands: The demands described below are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Must be able to verbally convey detailed information or important instructions or ideas accurately or quickly.
- Must be able to hear average or normal conversations and receive ordinary information. Average visual acuity is necessary.
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive list of activities, duties or responsibilities required of the employee. Other duties as assigned may be part of the job.
Father Bill’s & MainSpring is an equal opportunity employer.
Please Click Link to Apply!