1411 Tremont Street
SALARY: $48,050 - 54,299 per year.
This is a non-exempt, full-time position.
Metro Housing | Boston (formerly Metropolitan Boston Housing Partnership) is a leading nonprofit dedicated to connecting the residents of Greater Boston with safe, decent homes they can afford. Metro Housing empowers families and individuals to move along the continuum from homelessness to housing stability. Serving more than 25,000 households annually, we work seamlessly to bridge the gaps among government, nonprofits, and corporations to continually increase our impact. With more than 30 years’ experience piloting and implementing housing programs, we have solidified our position as an industry-leading expert on navigating the affordable housing field.
“We mobilize wide-ranging resources to provide innovative and personalized services that lead families and individuals to housing stability, economic security and an improved quality of life.”
As a member of the Rental Assistance (RA) team, the Program Specialist is responsible to administer the Section 8 Program and Massachusetts Rental Voucher Program (MRVP) for a caseload of clients within either a specific geographic or program area. Primary responsibilities include: perform regular re-certifications, facilitate the relocation process, determine program eligibility, interpret and apply HUD, DHCD and Metro Housing Boston regulations and policies, provide conflict resolution, collaborate within and across teams to accomplish agency goals of responsible rentership, quality housing, competent ownership, and choice and mobility.
REPORTS TO: Program Manager
RESPONSIBILITIES MAY INCLUDE:
The statements below are intended to describe the general nature and scope of work being performed by this position. This is not a complete listing of all responsibilities, duties and/or skills required. Other duties may be assigned.
- Facilitate all aspects of the reexamination process for a caseload: determine program eligibility, meet with each participant to verify family composition and income, calculate rent shares and process leasing agreements and housing contracts including entering data to ensure proper participant and applicant tracking and timely subsidy payment;
- Interpret and apply State/HUD/DHCD/ Metro Housing Boston regulations, policies and procedures. Educate program participants, appropriate agencies, and the general public concerning these regulations, policies and procedures;
- Initiate and process termination of program participation for families that have violated program requirements;
- Learn and apply federal regulations, state policies, and agency procedures. Educate program participants, appropriate agencies, and others about these regulations, policies and procedures;
- Maintain basic knowledge of housing inspection requirements and procedures;
- Monitor leasing agreements and housing contracts. Resolve problems and minor disputes concerning program regulations, rent shares, owner obligations and family responsibilities;
- Gather and provide information on a timely basis for required HUD/DHCD/ Metro Housing Boston reports;
- Collaborate with team members and other agency staff in order to provide clients with a coordinated and responsive level of service from the team as well as appropriate external resources;
- Facilitate, participate, and contribute to monthly team meetings;
- Attend community meetings, trainings, and participate in tenant and property owner workshops;
- Provide coverage for co-workers and vacant caseloads when necessary;
- Assist with Special Team and Department projects as needed; and
- Other duties as assigned.
- Strong customer service skills for both clients as well as internal team members (both over the phone and in person);
- Capability to handle high-volume of administrative work and manage a very busy work environment;
- Excellent organizational skills with the ability to manage on-going projects concurrently;
- Experience in administration of rental subsidy programs and knowledge of social service providers;
- Sensitivity to the needs of a diverse, low income population. Demonstrated ability to handle emotionally stressful situations and manage conflict. Empathetic to those needing reasonable accommodations as well as language assistance;
- Strong Time Management skills with the ability to handle large case loads;
- Ability to manage several tasks at once, anticipate and identify problems putting forward solutions that are creative, innovative, and flexible;
- Ability to both work independently and with a team;
- Strong interpersonal, verbal, written, and negotiation skills.
- Proficient with Windows, Microsoft Word, Excel, and comfort learning new software and tracking systems; and
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent related work experience.
PREFERENCE GIVEN TO:
- Candidates with multilingual skills (verbal and written). We are seeking candidates that speak and write English and at least one of the following languages (for interpreting and translation): Vietnamese, Cape Verdean Creole, Portuguese, Cantonese, Mandarin, Toisanese, Haitian- creole and Spanish.
REQUIRED CERTIFICATION (within one year of hire date):
- HCV Specialist Certification
- HCV Occupancy Certification
- HCV Rent Calculation Certification
- EIV Workshop and Training
- Commensurate and applicable experience may be substituted for the certification on a case by case basis.
Most benefits are available on your first day of work with Metro Housing | Boston. These benefits currently include:
Your and your family’s health
- Health and dental coverage on a pre-tax basis;
- Eye Med Vision plan on a pre-tax basis;
- Medical and dependent care reimbursement account;
- Company paid life and AD&D insurance and long-term disability;
- Free, confidential Employee Assistance Program;
- Voluntary life, accident, critical illness and cancer insurance.
- Generous vacation, sick, and personal time;
- 13 paid holidays per year;
- Paid new parent leave;
- Flexible schedules (when available).
- 403(b) plan with a company match.
- Tuition reimbursement program;
- Internal promotions encouraged.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
To apply, please follow this link: https://workforcenow.adp.com/mascsr/default/mdf/recruitment/recruitment…