150 Dudley Avenue
Nuestra Comunidad Development Corporation (Nuestra) is a Boston-based community development corporation with a legacy of excellence in affordable housing, economic development and tenant services. Nuestra aims to increase the social and economic power of individuals and families in its community through education, economic development and resident programming that foster a safe, vibrant and culturally diverse community with affordable housing. Nuestra seeks to create communities of opportunity and equity, working together with community partners and neighbors across Roxbury, Dorchester, Mattapan and other Boston neighborhoods,
Nuestra Comunidad’s Housing Counseling Program (“HC”) Program provides housing advocacy to low and moderate income residents of Boston to help them secure or retain affordable housing suitable to their individual needs. The HC Program provides emergency housing services to Boston families and individuals displaced by fire, flood, condemnation, eviction, and other unexpected crisis situations. The HC Program also provides housing stabilization services for homeless and at risk elders and persons with disabilities.
Position Summary Description
The HC Manager will work one-on-one with clients requiring housing relocation and housing stabilization services. This position reports directly to the Executive Director. The HC Manager will be an integral part of a team dedicated to homelessness prevention and enhancement of quality of living for low and moderate income residents of Boston.
Essential Job Functions and Responsibilities:
- Provide one-on-one housing counseling, information & referral for clients facing housing challenges; these challenges include but are not limited to individuals who need temporary to permanent housing due to displacement by fire, flood, condemnation, eviction, etc.
- Maintain client files including documentation of household income and Boston residency;
- Produce program reports as required by funders.
- Work closely with and supervise a Housing Stabilization Coordinator, whose role is to assist in receiving referrals, conducting intakes, one-on-one counseling and funder reporting.
- Conduct needs assessment by previewing client financial information, housing history, and service needs to determine a range of solutions for the client to consider in forming his/her housing search strategy.
- Establish and maintain relationships with housing providers including Boston Housing Authority, other public housing authorities, Metro Housing Boston, private property management companies, landlords, realty agencies, and local social service agencies.
- Provide housing search and placement services, identify housing options, and assist with the housing application and interview process.
- Coordinate relocation and stabilization services;
- Accompany clients to Boston Housing Court as needed, coordinate legal services, and provide support with court process and mediation in eviction cases.
- Assist clients with the appeal process in cases of termination of rental subsidy.
- Maintain program’s emergency rental assistance fund, determine client eligibility, and disperse funds.
- Maintain client files as required by City of Boston and other funders.
- Work jointly with Nuestra Comunidad‘s Home Center to link clients to Foreclosure Prevention, First-time Homebuyer classes, and Financial Capability programs.
- Provide consultation to elderly Nuestra Comunidad residents at risk of displacement.
- Assist in organizing annual Senior Resource Fair.
- Assist in grant writing upon request of Department of Resource Development.
- Available to work occasional evenings and weekends for emergency housing cases.
- Other tasks and responsibilities as assigned.
- Attending various meetings or trainings
- Complying with departmental policies, paperwork requirements, communication follow up etc.
Work Requirements and Qualifications
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational, oral and written communication and client management skills.
- Possess a strong knowledge of affordable HC program, tenant rights and responsibilities, housing and social service networks.
- Understanding of government rental assistance programs.
- Prior experience with low and moderate income tenants, housing counseling/housing search, and community development is required.
- Experience in working with clients with trauma and addiction issues desirable.
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural environment; multi-lingual and bicultural preferred;
- Ability to work collaboratively and to prioritize work and time,
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment with a high volume of residents.
- Computer literate proficiency in Microsoft Windows (Word, Excel).
- Ability to effectively supervise.
The position involves sitting, standing, lifting, looking at a computer screen, phone work etc. The physical demands described are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function in a satisfactory manner. The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Opportunity Communities, and members Nuestra Comunidad and The Neighborhood Developers, are equal opportunity organizations. We recruit, employ, train, compensate, and promote without regard to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, veteran status orany other basis protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.
Submit your resume and cover letter to the following link: https://www.tfaforms.com/4727949