150 Dudley Avenue
Nuestra Comunidad Development Corporation (Nuestra) is a Boston-based community development corporation with a legacy of excellence in affordable housing, economic development and tenant services. Nuestra aims to increase the social and economic power of individuals and families in its community through education, economic development and resident programming that foster a safe, vibrant and culturally diverse community with affordable housing. Nuestra seeks to create communities of opportunity and equity, working together with community partners and neighbors across Roxbury, Dorchester, Mattapan and other Boston neighborhoods,
Nuestra Comunidad’ s community engagement team sustains and builds a network of Nuestra’s tenants, neighbors and community partners actively working to make our neighborhoods into communities of opportunity and equity. The team manages programs designed by community members to address identified challenges and goals, including public safety, resources for men of color and using arts to activate public spaces in the Nubian Square area. The community engagement work includes advocacy for antic-displacement public polices and for real estate development projects that will prevent gentrification and create housing and economic opportunity for local residents. Leadership development is an important part of the community engagement work.
Position Summary Description
The Community Organizer supports key neighborhood organizations supported by Nuestra Comunidad including a Black & Latino male engagement network. The Community Organizer position will also support the Enterprise Rose Fellow in planning arts activities in public spaces in Nubian Square. The Community Engagement Manager will work collaboratively with the resident service staff and property management team to engage tenants and develop their leadership. This is a part-time position (16 hours/week) with potential for additional hours as resources are secured.
Essential Job Functions and Responsibilities:
- Support the Male Engagement Network (MEN) program focused on building leadership of core leadership group in advocating for needed programs and resources for Black & Latino men in our communities.
- Engage tenants at our properties in the MEN program and in networking, leadership development and advocacy.
- Help the Rose Fellow with the overall planning and organization of place-making activities in the Nubian Square area.
- Work closely with Executive Director and Rose Fellow
Work Requirements and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent expertise through experience
- Bi-lingual English/Spanish skills desired, not required
- Computer literate including some facility with Excel
- Familiarity with Salesforce or capacity to learn the use of this database system to document engagement and leadership
- Demonstrated ability to build relationships with diverse people that foster hope and community
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with people in a respectful and helpful manner
- Experienced Communicator (written, Verbally and Informally)
- Familiar with agencies and organizations within the communities of Roxbury desirable
- Flexible with work style, and hours
- Minimum of 3-5 years of experience in community organizing or community planning or programming
- Passion for community development, underserved populations overcoming injustice
- Pragmatic conflict management skills
- Attending various meetings or trainings
- Complying with departmental policies, paperwork requirements, communication follow up etc.
The position involves sitting, standing, lifting, looking at a computer screen, phone work etc. It involves attending community meetings, knocking on doors, visiting neighbors in their homes and staffing special events. The physical demands described are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Nuestra Comunidad is an equal opportunity organization. We recruit, employ, train, compensate, and promote without regard to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, veteran status or any other basis protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.
Please submit your resume and cover letter to the following link: https://www.tfaforms.com/4727949