The Department of Housing and Community Development (DHCD) is seeking an Accountant III in the Accounting Office in the Division of Administration & Finance!
DHCD is within Housing and Economic Development Secretariat and its work touches the lives of all Massachusetts residents.
DHCD's mission is to strengthen cities, towns and neighborhoods to enhance the quality of life of Massachusetts residents by providing leadership, professional assistance and financial resources to promote safe, decent, affordable housing opportunities, economic vitality of communities and sound municipal management.
OVERVIEW OF ROLE:
The Accountant III reviews all accounting documents for proper backup documentation according to Agency, State and Federal regulations prior to entering the transactions into Massachusetts Management Accounting and Reporting System (MMARS). Trains and educates new staff as to proper accounting documentation according to State Finance Law.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES (NOT ALL INCLUSIVE):
- Review includes, but is not limited to, mathematical accuracy, authorized signatory approval and ensuring that all necessary supporting documentation is attached.
- Review CT (contract), PRC (commodity based purchase), GAE (general encumbrance document), GAX (general accounting expenditure), INP (incidental purchase), PC (commodity purchase order), PH (payroll hold) to ensure conformity to all Agency, Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), State and Federal regulations.
- Review employee reimbursements for accuracy and proper documentation and submit to the Budget Department for data entry.
2) MMARS (state accounting system:)
- Enter payment and encumbrance documents in the state accounting system, MMARS.
- Re-review the data entry in MMARS to ensure its accuracy.
- Submit contracts or encumbrances over DHCD's delegation authority to the Office of the Comptroller for approval and monitor the approval process in MMARS.
- Monitor the document catalog daily to ensure timely delivery and approval of documents in MMARS and work with fiscal staff and the Comptroller's Office to resolve any discrepancies.
- Set-up new vendors (VCC) and vendor modifications (VCM) in MMARS.
3) Technical Assistance and Training:
- Provide technical assistance and training to new agency staff in relation to proper accounting procedures and documentation as required by State and Federal laws and regulations.
4) Accounting Mailbox:
- Serve as a backup for the Bookkeeper by assigning the daily work from the DHCD accounting mailbox.
- Process revenue transactions (CR, ER) for checks deposited and make deposits as needed.
- Assist the Internal Controls Officer by providing documents in an Audit.
- Attention to detail and excellent organizational skills.
- Experience working within close time constraints to meet deadlines with minimal supervision.
- Experience reading and interpret financial reports.
- Experience gathering data and prepare financial reports.
- Ability to learn computer applications and use them effectively.
- Ability to use MMARS, the state accounting and budgetary accounting system.
- At least intermediate proficiency using Microsoft Word, Excel and Access.
- Knowledge of state and federal appropriations.
- Knowledge of State and Federal Finance Law and regulations.
- Associates Degree with a major in Accounting
Please upload resume and cover letter.
This position would be expected to follow a hybrid model of reporting to work that combines in-office workdays and work from home days, as needed.
Salary placement is determined by years of experience and education directly related to the position and the Human Resources Division’s Recruiting Guidelines. In the case of a promotional opportunity, the salary provisions of the applicable collective bargaining agreement will apply to placement within the appropriate salary range.
Education, licensure and certifications will be verified in accordance with the Human Resources Division’s Hiring Guidelines. Education and license/certification information provided by the selected candidate(s) is subject to the Massachusetts Public Records Law and may be published on the Commonwealth’s website.
First consideration will be given to those applicants that apply within the first 14 days.
MINIMUM ENTRANCE REQUIREMENTS: Applicants must have at least (A) three years of full-time, or equivalent part-time, professional experience in accounting or auditing, of which at least (B) one year must have been in a supervisory, administrative or managerial capacity, or (C) any equivalent combination of the required experience and the substitutions below.
I. An Associate's degree with a major in accounting, business administration or business management may be substituted for a maximum of one year of the required (A) experience.*
II. A Bachelor's degree with a major in accounting, business administration or business management may be substituted for a maximum of two years of the required (A) experience.*
III. A Graduate degree with a major in accounting, business administration or business management may be substituted for the required experience.*
*Education toward such a degree will be prorated on the basis of the proportion of the requirements actually completed.
When you embark on a career with the Commonwealth, you are offered an outstanding suite of employee benefits that add to the overall value of your compensation package. We take pride in providing a work experience that supports you, your loved ones, and your future.
Want the specifics? Explore our Employee Benefits and Rewards! at https://www.mass.gov/commonwealth-employee-benefits-and-rewards
An Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer. Females, minorities, veterans, and persons with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.
The Commonwealth is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, disability, national origin, veteran status, or any other basis covered by appropriate law. Research suggests that qualified women, Black, Indigenous, and Persons of Color (BIPOC) may self-select out of opportunities if they don't meet 100% of the job requirements. We encourage individuals who believe they have the skills necessary to thrive to apply for this role.
Official Title: Accountant III
Functional Title: Accountant III
Primary Location: United States-Massachusetts-Boston-100 Cambridge Street
Job: Accounting and Finance
Agency: Department of Housing & Community Development
Job Posting: May 16, 2023, 9:12:12 AM
Number of Openings: 1
Salary: $56,579.12 - $80,651.48 Yearly
Bargaining Unit: 06-NAGE - Professional Admin.
Hybrid Work Eligible: Yes
If you have Diversity, Affirmative Action or Equal Employment Opportunity questions or need a Reasonable Accommodation, please contact Diversity Officer / ADA Coordinator: Jessica Molina - 8572480160