Hearing on MRVP, Fair Housing, Access to Counsel & Healthy Homes Program - Wed, Sept 27
The Joint Committee on Housing will host a hearing on housing-related bills on Wednesday, September 27, at 1:00 p.m.
This hearing includes CHAPA legislative priorities to:
- Codify and Make Program Improvements to Mass. Rental Voucher Program (H.1351/ S.888). MRVP Fact sheet.
- Establish an Office of Fair Housing in Massachusetts (H.1377/ S.866). Fair Housing Fact Sheet.
- Establish a program to provide legal representation to tenants and property owners with low income in eviction cases (S.864).
- Establish a Massachusetts Healthy Homes Program (H.1307/ S.881).
Testify Virtually or In-Person
You can testify at the hearing virtually or in person! To register to testify, please fill out this form below by 5 p.m. today. You will not be able to sign up after 5 p.m. Once registered, you will receive further instructions on how to participate.
The in-person hearing is in room B-1 on Wednesday, Sept 27th, at 1 p.m. at the State House. Directions for room B-1.
Submit Support Letter
You can submit a letter as written testimony in support of bills to the Housing Committee. You can email the testimony directly to Luke O'Roark at firstname.lastname@example.org and Christianna Golden at christianna.golden@masenate.
List of CHAPA Priority Bills up for Hearing on Sept 27th:
- H.1351/ S.888 An Act Relative to the Massachusetts Rental Voucher Program
Sponsored by Rep. Madaro & Sen. Lovely
This legislation grounds the program in state statute (it currently exists through the state budget, at the risk of changes every year) and makes improvements that include:
- Deepening affordability for renters through larger voucher payment shares;
- Improving renter safety by requiring inspections;
- Increasing the administrative fees so regional housing agencies and housing authorities can better cover the cost of the program; and
- Improving data collection.
- H.1377/ S.866 An Act to establish an office of Fair Housing and a Fair Housing Trust fund
Sponsored by Rep. Tyler & Rep. Rogers & Sen. Edwards
This Legislation establishes an Office of Fair Housing and Fair Housing Trust Fund on the State level to help combat housing discrimination at all levels, including development, sales, lending, appraisals, marketing, tenant selection, applications, and zoning.
- S.864 An Act Promoting Access to Counsel and Housing Stability in Massachusetts
Sponsored by Rep. Rogers & Rep. Day & Sen. DiDomenico
This legislation will create an Access to Counsel Program that provides legal representation for tenants and owner-occupants with low incomes in eviction proceedings and help prevent homelessness, stop illegal or unnecessary evictions, and reduce displacement.
- H.1307/ S.881 An Act creating the Massachusetts Healthy Homes Program
Sponsored by Rep. Cruz & Rep. Arriaga & Sen. Keenan
This legislation will create the Massachusetts Healthy Homes Program, providing grants and low-cost loans to income-eligible homeowners and property owners to make the necessary repairs.