April 27, 2023
April 27, 2023
Virtual Zoom Meeting
Boston, MA 02108
Everyone has the right to choose where they want to live, free from discrimination, and we all play a role in shaping our future. Join us virtually on April 27th from 1-4 PM as we explore recent fair housing research and discuss the actions we must take to create the future we want to see.
It has been 55 years since the Fair Housing Act was signed as a part of The Civil Rights Act of 1968, and there is still much to do to achieve justice and equity. Critical research and fieldwork documenting housing discrimination continue to lay out the need for change, but we cannot stop there.
The present-day consequences of decades of systemic discrimination require proactive strategies to close the racial wealth gap effectively. It requires us to understand the causes and impacts of discriminatory practices and demands a call to action to redress the harm done.
CHAPA’s Annual Fair Housing Symposium will feature key findings from two recent research reports listed below, followed by panel discussions with experts on potential redress:
- Profiteering, Neglect, Persistent Housing Discrimination and the Destabilization of Roxbury, Homes for Equity, produced by StarLuna Consulting, LLC (JUST RELEASED!)
- Faulty Foundations: Mystery-Shopper Testing In Home Appraisals Exposes Racial Bias Undermining Black Wealth, National Community Reinvestment Coalition
At the Symposium, we'll also honor these Open Door Champion Awardees:
- Katherine Levine Einstein, David Glick, and Maxwell Palmer, Housing Politics Lab and Authors of Neighborhood Defenders: Participatory Politics and America’s Housing Crisis
- Iván Espinoza-Madrigal, Executive Director of Lawyers for Civil Rights
- David J. Harris, Managing Director Emeritus of the Charles Hamilton Houston Institute for Race and Justice, New England Innocence Project Board Member, and City of Boston Taskforce on Reparations Member
- Ellen Shachter, Director of the City of Somerville’s Office of Housing Stability
Register now to join us on Thursday, April 27th, for this critical discussion!
Stay tuned for more details, including full agenda and a complete list of speakers and panelists!
Visit this event page for the most up-to-date information. Contact Whitney Demetrius (firstname.lastname@example.org), Director of Fair Housing Engagement, with any questions about this event or if you are in need of interpretation services or other accommodations for this meeting. Closed captioning is available.