96 Lafayette Street
YouthBuild Construction Intern
North Shore, MA
Why Work at North Shore CDC?
North Shore Community Development Coalition (NSCDC) is a regional, nonprofit organization committed to investing in neighborhoods to create thriving communities. We envision a North Shore where every neighborhood is one of choice and opportunity. Our neighborhood revitalization model focuses on projects that have lasting benefits for entire neighborhoods with need-based programs that build future city leaders and self-sufficient residents. Our diverse staff are passionate and committed to helping our communities thrive and grow. While our internships are not paid we offer an extensive supportive environment for interns to effectively learn and grow professionally. We offer a plethora of free professional development workshops and training to interns to help support their professional growth. This opportunity includes OSHA -10 certification.
About the Role
The YouthBuild Construction Intern(YBCI) will be a motivated self-starter that is passionate about construction and youth development, able to pay close attention to detail and work in a collaborative supportive environment to help underserved Opportunity Youth ages 16-24 work towards success and self-sufficiency. The YBCI is instrumental in working with our award winning youth workforce development program YouthBuild. The YBCI will teach hard and soft basic construction skills through hands-on training and credentialed educational programming with safety as a top priority. The YBCI will work closely under a Master level Carpenter with over 35 years of experience to coordinate, create and organize important parts of the YouthBuild construction component. The YBCI will engage each youth individually to connect and foster a positive influence. The intern will also serve as a mentor and is instrumental in connecting with youth as they are preparing for a satisfying and rewarding career in carpentry/construction.
- Co-facilitate the educational in-class and hands-on worksite training of the construction component.
- Support youth who are struggling through extensive tutoring and on one check in meetings
- Track information, outcomes and data to assure all youth are on track to completing required construction credentialing
- Assist with worksite safety and help insure appropriate use of equipment and tools
- Assist with monitoring the progress and quality of work on the worksite
- Conduct inventory of all supplies, materials and safety equipment
- Assist trainees in developing their career, educational and personal goals
- Support the Construction Coordinator in identifying future projects, service opportunities and initiatives to support the mission of NSCDC
- High energy and a positive role model to help motivate young people
- 1-2 years technical school or onsite construction experience
- A strong commitment to training young people in the building trades
- Team oriented, strong communication skills and good sense of humor
- Enthusiastic about helping young people succeed, become self-sufficient positive leaders in their communities.
- Excellent writing and interpersonal skills, including the ability to collaborate with others
- Proficient in facilitating workshops and/or classes
- Ability to lift knee, squat, climb, crawl, stoop, turn/twist, balance, reach and handle with varying frequencies. Heavy work: Occasional lifting and carrying objects up to 75 Lbs
- Willingness to be a part of the continued growth of the YouthBuild North Shore Program and help develop systems for program success
- Must have working knowledge of computers and computer systems
Submit a cover letter and resume to Jason Pina, COO by email at HR@northshorecdc.org. Please specify “YouthBuild Construction Intern” in the subject line.