Official Title: Housing Program Specialist II
Functional Title: State Rental Assistance Programs Specialist
Primary Location: United States-Massachusetts-Boston-100 Cambridge Street
Job: Community and Social Services
Agency: Department of Housing & Community Development
Job Posting: Nov 26, 2019, 3:46:03 PM
Number of Openings: 1
Salary: $58,390.54 - $83,591.56 Yearly
Bargaining Unit: 06-NAGE - Professional Admin.
The State Rental Assistance Programs Specialist, (hereinafter known as “the Programs Specialist”) provides program support to state rental assistance programs including the Massachusetts Rental Voucher Program (MRVP), the Alternative Housing Voucher Program (AHVP), and the Department of Mental Health Rental Subsidy Program (DMH-RSP). The incumbent also administers the programming of the Housing Consumer Education Centers (HCEC). The Programs Specialist assists the Assistant Director of State Programs, the Director of the Division of Rental Assistance, and other staff to implement and administer the programs on a daily basis, specifically focusing on administering all aspects of the MRVP Project-Based Voucher (PBV) portfolio, supportive housing programs, and HCECs.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES (these duties are a general summary and not all inclusive):
- Assist Housing Development with requests for MRVP PBVs through their regular funding rounds and out-of-round requests. This includes communicating allocations and providing technical assistance to both DHCD Housing Development staff and Owners/Developers involved in the process.
- Track all Project-Based awards, including progress, costs and completion of program requirements
- Coordinate and facilitate Pre-Leasing conferences between Administering Agencies and Owners, including briefing all parties on program rules and regulations, explaining the administration of the vouchers and executing program agreements and forms.
- Review project budgets in order to monitor and forecast spending and report on PBV lease-ups.
- Provide technical assistance around waitlists, program requirements, voucher administration and performance standards to Owners and Administering Agencies.
- Coordinate with DHCD legal, DHCD housing development, other funding organizations, and Owners on submission and approval of Tenant Selection Plans for all new PBV projects.
Supportive Housing & Self-Sufficiency Programs
- Track progress of and report on all Supportive Housing Awards (from award through development and to occupancy).
- Receive and process quarterly reports for services for Supportive Housing Initiative.
- Responsible for assisting with the development and implementation of policies and procedures for the MRVP Supportive Housing programs.
- Assist the Economic Prosperity Manager and Assistant Director with self-sufficiency programs within state rental assistance programs, including technical assistance, program design, implementation and fiscal components.
Housing Consumer Education Center
- Coordinate the procurement and contracting process, including signing of contracts with housing agencies that administer the program.
- Collect and process invoices and monitor spending.
- Coordinate with Regional Housing Network (RHN) on development of database.
- Monitor and coordinate services provided by HCECs.
- Compile legislative and other requested reports, as required.
- Assist the Assistant Director with the development and implementation of technology initiatives including online application, central waiting list, and data warehouse.
- Support the Assistant Director and AHVP/DMH Coordinator in the development and promulgation of new AHVP Administrative Plan, Program Documents and Regulations, as necessary.
- Support the Assistant Director and AHVP/DMH Coordinator in the development and coordination of trainings and materials.
- Assist the AHVP/DMH Coordinator in implementing new program initiatives and further expansion efforts for both the DMH-RSP and AHVP programs.
- Assist Assistant Director and AHVP/DMH Coordinator in monitoring programs for performance and compliance.
- Compile program reports and analysis of program data, as necessary.
Other duties as assigned.
- Excellent writing and communication skills.
- Demonstrated experience administering rental assistance programs, including MRVP, AHVP, DMHRSP, or Section 8, strongly preferred. Experience with project based vouchers strongly preferred.
- Knowledge of the principles of rental assistance and housing development including terminology.
- Knowledge of the principles underlying civil rights, equal opportunity programs, and fair housing as they pertain to achieving the objectives of subsidized housing programs.
- Experience administering programs for vulnerable populations and/or persons with disabilities strongly preferred.
- Understanding of Local Housing Authorities and/or Regional Administering Agencies, Service Providers, and advocacy networks and organizations preferred.
- Intermediate knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint preferred. Basic knowledge of Microsoft Access preferred. Knowledge of voucher administration or housing management software (Tenmast, Yardi, Elite, PHA Network, etc.) preferred.
- Ability to provide training or instruction. Experience in preparing training materials is desirable.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as contracts, leases, regulations, budget language, program guidelines, etc.
- Strong attention to detail and demonstrated analytical experience.
- Ability to work collaboratively, independently and as part of a team.
- Excellent time management skills, including the ability to prioritize work, escalate issues, adjust to changing priorities and meet required deadlines.
The Department of Housing and Community Development (DHCD) is within the Housing and Economic Development Secretariat and its work touches the lives of all Massachusetts residents. DHCD's mission is to strengthen cities, towns and neighborhoods to enhance the quality of life of Massachusetts residents by providing leadership, professional assistance and financial resources to promote safe, decent, affordable housing opportunities, economic vitality of communities and sound municipal management.
Please upload resume and cover letter.
Salary placement is determined by years of experience and education directly related to the position and the Human Resources Division’s Recruiting Guidelines.
Education, licensure and certifications will be verified in accordance with the Human Resources Division’s Hiring Guidelines. Education and license/certification information provided by the selected candidate(s) is subject to the Massachusetts Public Records Law and may be published on the Commonwealth’s website.
First consideration will be given to those applicants that apply within the first 14 days (by 12/10/19).
Minimum Entrance Requirements:
Applicants must have at least (A) three years of full-time, or equivalent part-time, professional experience in real estate management, property management, public housing program management, public housing program development or public housing program administration, or (B) any equivalent combination of the required experience and the substitutions below.
I. An Associate's degree with a major in real estate, public administration, business administration or business management may be substituted for a maximum of one year of the required experience.*
II. A Bachelor's degree in real estate, public administration, business administration or business management may be substituted for a maximum of two years for the required experience.*
III. A Master's or higher degree with a major in public administration, business administration or business management may be substituted for the required experience.*
*Education toward such a degree will be prorated on the basis of the proportion of the requirements actually completed.
Special Requirements: Based on assignment, possession of a current and valid Massachusetts Motor Vehicle Operator's License may be required.
An Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer. Females, minorities, veterans, and persons with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.
If you have Diversity, Affirmative Action or Equal Employment Opportunity questions or need a Reasonable Accommodation, please contact Diversity Officer / ADA Coordinator: Marjorie Lalli - 617-573-1100