MBL Housing and Development (MBL) seeks a Senior Real Estate Development Consultant to join its affordable housing and community development consulting team based in Western Massachusetts.
MBL is an established real estate development consulting firm, located in the Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts. For more than 20 years, MBL has provided public and private funders with the confidence that its clients and their projects are poised for successful outcomes. MBL’s growth is an outcome of this trust and confidence.
We are the premier development consulting firm in the region, and have an active pipeline of housing and community development projects. Four of the 25 projects funded in the state’s most recent annual competitive funding round were MBL-supported projects. MBL provides affordable housing development, financial feasibility analysis, development packaging, project management, and market analysis services to housing and economic development projects. We partner with for-profit and non-profit project sponsors. MBL resolves complex development problems, and secures debt and equity financing.
We are currently engaged in projects at various stages of development, including new construction and preservation housing, single room occupancy, and school re-use. Financing sources include Low Income Housing and Historic Tax Credits, bond financing, Community Preservation Act funds and others. Projects are primarily located across the western region of Massachusetts, but growth in new regions is anticipated.
MBL is staffed by a President, and two Development Consultants. By the end of 2017, we expect to have added a Senior Consultant and a Project Associate. In 2015, MBL became an affiliate of Way Finders Inc., a housing services nonprofit located in Springfield, MA. MBL maintains its own identify, its own office, and its own leadership and staffing structure. Through its relationship with Way Finders Inc., MBL is able to expand opportunities and relationships with an increased number of partners.
The Senior Consultant
MBL is seeking a detail-oriented, driven and experienced development professional to join our team as a Senior Consultant. Reporting directly to our President, this individual will provide real estate finance and development expertise to clients seeking to build, redevelop, and finance community based assets, with a primary focus on tax-credit financed affordable housing.
This is a fantastic opportunity for a seasoned affordable housing development professional looking to be an integral part of our business expansion. Candidates must have senior level real estate development experience, plus a commitment to affordable housing, community development and Western Massachusetts. This individual will ensure quality performance and outcomes, serve as a dynamic representative for the organization, and fully represent MBL’s mission. The consultant would be expected to reside in Western Massachusetts, although flexible work arrangements will be considered.
· Evaluate and recommend development projects and consulting opportunities
· Conduct project feasibility analysis
· Secure funding commitments for projects, including pre development, interim financing, permanent debt, equity investments, and public or private subsidies
· Establish and maintain positive relationships with local and state agencies, private parties, other non-profit organizations, or other entities necessary to complete projects
· Create, monitor and manage project budgets
· Lead development teams, collaborating with and overseeing legal, design, construction and other team members
· Coordinate permitting, zoning and environmental review for projects as required
· Obtain required public approvals for projects
· Coordinate closings
· Oversee project design and construction and prepare requisitions for funding
· Oversee market studies, marketing and lease-up activities, and
· Ensure compliance with contracts, reporting requirements, and close-out of projects.
Our Ideal Candidate
Our ideal candidate will have experience with development of mixed-finance transactions, plus an ability to successfully drive and close these transactions. Successful candidates must have ability to manage all elements of a project, from creating a successful application for tax credits to managing construction and lease up. They should have many of the following skills and experiences:
· At least 7 years of experience in real estate development
· B.A., Master's degree in real estate, planning, business or a related field preferred
· Skilled in transaction structuring of affordable housing finance, including LIHTC
· Strong budget development and financial management skills using public and private financing
· Experience with large scale residential real estate development
· Understanding of regulatory issues and permitting processes
· Demonstrated experience managing a development team and client relationships
· Creative problem-solving skills, including critical decision-making and ability to manage complex tasks without direct supervision
· Established relationships with funders, developers, architects, lawyers, contractors, and others associated with affordable housing development in Massachusetts preferred
· Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously
· Strong oral and written communication skills
· Facility in word, excel, and electronic communications
· Good judgement, including an ability to identify projects and make quick decisions on the likelihood of project success
· An entrepreneurial spirit, and
· A commitment to supporting community based nonprofits and service agencies in the production and preservation of high quality housing and community facilities.
The Selection Process Please send a resume and thoughtful cover letter, outlining your salary requirements and how your skills and experience meet the qualifications of the position, and stating how you heard about this position to: MBL Senior Consultant Search, Ann L Silverman Consulting, MBLSeniorConsultant2017@gmail.com.
All applications will be reviewed and acknowledged when they are received. MBL seeks to hire a Senior Consultant by the end of fall 2017. We offer a competitive salary and benefits package, including opportunities for incentive compensation.
MBL and Way Finders Inc., are equal opportunity and affirmative action employers. We encourage applications from candidates from diverse backgrounds and cultures.