15 Court Square, Suite 420
New Ecology, Inc. seeks candidates for the position of Senior HERS Rater. This position is part of an organization-wide technical services team with expertise in HERS and other rating systems, energy auditing, construction inspections, site verifications, and energy modeling. The Senior HERS Rater will work from New Ecology’s Boston office.
New Ecology is an innovative, nationally-recognized, non-profit corporation. Our core work is providing energy efficiency and green building services that cost-effectively improve the performance, health and durability of buildings. Our clients are typically owners of multifamily housing, (with an emphasis on affordable housing) and community-based projects such as municipal, educational, and arts buildings. Projects include buildings that are being newly constructed, renovated, or are just seeking improved performance; see www.newecology.org.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The Senior HERS Rater will spend about 25% time coordinating and managing NEI’s HERs work, and 75% time running rating projects. Specific tasks related to HERS or other rating systems include:
- Managing the scheduling of NEI’s rater work and ensuring that program requirements are met;
- Preparing Ekotrope or related energy models for multifamily buildings;
- Working with clients to develop energy-efficient buildings;
- Conducting inspections of job sites for compliance with HERS and other rating systems;
- Providing formal and informal trainings of sub/contractors to help them achieve certifications and construct better buildings, including addressing building science issues, energy certification programs, ENERGY STAR checklists, etc.;
- Performing field tests at rough and final construction for program compliance;
- Writing site visit reports with information regarding construction/performance compliance issues.
- Maintaining all files for program certification or review by a third party.
- Maintaining relationship and communication with New Ecology’s Provider organization.
New Ecology seeks to hire multidisciplinary, lifelong learners who naturally seek deeper and deeper understanding of how buildings operate, how finances and regulations affect buildings and residents, and how this understanding can be used to improve buildings.
- A bachelor’s degree in Science or a technical degree;
- Valid HERS certification through an accredited Provider;
- Five years of experience conducting HERS ratings;
- Strong communication skills, including experience writing reports for clients;
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office, Ekotrope or RemRate modeling software;
- Ability to: 1) inspect all aspects of buildings, including: accessing basements, attics, and roofs; 2) climb stairs/ladders; and 3) handle and carry equipment up to 40 lbs;
- Demonstrated ability to be responsible for projects and deliverables;
- Knowledge of utility rebate programs; and
- A valid driver’s license.
Additional Desirable Qualifications:
- BPI Building Analyst / BPI Multifamily Building Analyst;
- Certified Energy Manager (CEM);
- LEED Green Rater, NGBS Green Verifier, or PHIUS+ Rater;
- Experience conducting energy audits and diagnosing building enclosure or HVAC equipment issues;
- Some supervisory experience.
Schedule: Full time, exempt, preferred. Regular travel to job sites and meetings, primarily in Massachusetts and less frequently throughout the Mid-Atlantic is expected.
Compensation: Competitive pay and generous benefits package. Professional development is a priority and we provide financial assistance for training and certifications.
To Apply: Please submit a cover letter and resume to: email@example.com (please put “Senior HERS Rater” in subject line).
NEI is committed to developing a diverse staff. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. Minorities and women are encouraged to apply.