197 Friend Street
GBLS is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity/Accessible Employer and strives to ensure that our staff members reflect the diversity of the communities we serve.
For more than 100 years, Greater Boston Legal Services (GBLS) has provided free civil legal assistance to people living in poverty in the Greater Boston area. Each year GBLS’s attorneys, staff, and volunteers help resolve legal problems, including immigration, domestic violence, consumer fraud, unfair evictions, and juvenile expungements. GBLS seek a Sr. Accountant with a minimum of three years of experience to support the accounting activities of the program.
The Senior Accountant is an integral part of a four member accounting team. Reporting to the Director of Finance, the Senior Accountant’s primary responsibilities will include fiscal management of grants and contracts, client trust activities, general ledger activities, and other finance-related tasks.
Main responsibilities include:
Accounting and Reporting
- Take the lead on researching and preparing journal entries;
- Review reports to identify and correct problems with allocations;
- Conduct account reconciliations to ensure accurate reporting and general ledger maintenance;
- Reconcile investments accounts and prepare investment schedules;
- Manage IOLTA client trust activities;
- Manage employee loan forgiveness program (LRAP), including preparation of notes and quarterly invoicing;
- Manage program related budgets, including student and attorney fellowships;
- Perform monthly bank reconciliations;
- Assist in annual operating budget process;
- Maintain depreciation schedule;
- Backup payroll and accounts payable activities when needed.
- Works with development department and program heads to prepare and implement grant and funding proposal budgets;
- Manage contract spending and prepare contract amendments when needed;
- Prepare grant and contracts billings as required;
- Tracks financial reporting requirements for funders and ensures accurate financial reporting and funder compliance.
- Prepares schedules and reports for annual fiscal audits and 990;
- Assist with the annual, external financial statement and uniform guidance audits, tax and UFR.
- Help with implementation of new accounting related software;
- Help to create and maintain training materials;
- Complete other tasks as requested by the Director of Finance.
A B.A./B.S. in Accounting or related program or the equivalent combination of education and experience is required. In addition, the Senior Accountant must have a minimum of three years of relevant experience, preferably in a non-profit setting, experience coordinating a variety of different tasks in a fast-paced environment, and proficiency in Microsoft Office suite (i.e. PowerPoint, Excel, Word) and packaged accounting software, and be comfortable learning new systems. Strong organizational skills, the ability to research and analyze information, and attention to detail are important qualities, as well as the ability to establish effective working relationships at all levels and across all departments. Solid knowledge of accounting principles, experience creating financial reports, and contracts management of federal and state grants are highly desirable.
Compensation and Benefits: The pay range for this position is $58,000 to $75,000. Compensation is based on experience level. This position is a full time/35 hour week. Generous benefits package includes medical, dental, and life insurance; short and long term disability; paid holiday, vacation, and sick leave; and 403b retirement plan.
Candidates should submit cover letter and resume to Sonia Marquez, Director of Human Resources, via e-mail at email@example.com . Please refer to Job Code: Admin-Acct, when applying for this position. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. Applicants are encouraged to apply before March 20, 2020. GBLS encourages applicants from a broad range of backgrounds and experiences.