90 Longwood Ave
The primary purpose of this position is to manage all facets of Property Management at the Brookline Housing Authority (“BHA” or “Authority”). The incumbent enforces lease agreements and timely rent payments by residents, ensures all procedures and units are compliant with applicable regulations, and coordinates with Maintenance and Applications staff to complete vacancy turn-over within the acceptable timeframe. This position occasionally requires attendance at evening and weekend meetings or events. The Property Manager is responsible for overseeing assigned BHA buildings, ensuring optimal function, safety, and resident satisfaction.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Screens and calculates income for applicants processed and referred by Leased Housing for Tax Credit Program eligibility. Conducts Tax Credit re-certifications for assigned properties. Consults with Leased Housing to ensure the timely completion of all re-certifications.
- Conducts orientation for new residents including: showing units, explaining the lease, discussing resident responsibilities, and maintenance requirements. Ensures required paperwork is completed by all new residents and entered into PHA-Web database system.
- Monitors all resident files, records, and database, ensuring they are properly secured and in compliance with HUD, DHCD, LIHTC regulations and BHA policies; monitors file quality control and updates files as needed.
- Monitors rent roll and budget to optimize financial performance.
- Refers residents to social service agencies for resources. Coordinates with groups and agencies capable of rendering various services to residents.
- Encourages and facilitates resident association activities for all housing under supervision; meets with leaders to plan meetings and suggest ideas to improve participation and resolve problems.
- Assists with the resident and applicant grievance process, ensuring parties receive fair and equitable treatment; advises residents of lease violations and eviction proceedings; interacts with counsel regarding resident evictions and attends pre-termination hearings, provides documentation and assistance as needed during the process of grievances, pre-termination hearings and evictions as needed.
- Maintains records of vacant units, prepares weekly move-in and move-out lists; works closely with Maintenance to inspect vacant units and ensure a timely turnover. Conducts move-in and move-out inspections.
- Performs daily inspections of buildings and grounds to observe conditions of property; works with the Maintenance Department to resolve unsatisfactory conditions of units, common areas, and grounds. Advises Maintenance to generate work orders as needed.
- Prepares or supervises the preparation of all weekly, monthly, and annual reports relating to assigned developments; maintains reports and submits to appropriate department(s) or agencies.
Education and/or Experience
Bachelor's Degree in Business Administration, Public Administration, or related field and a minimum of four (4) years of experience in property management, Certified in Tax Credit preferred. Equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered. Possession of a valid driver’s license and insurability under the Authority’s plan preferred.
The employee should have strong computer skills (e.g., MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook). Strong knowledge of LIHTC Certifications and strong familiarity with HUD Secure Systems, DHCD, and affordable housing accounting/compliance software systems a plus. Must have the ability to learn other computer software programs as required by assigned tasks.
BHA offers a competitive salary and strong benefits package, including state GIC health insurance and a defined-benefit pension.
The BHA is an equal opportunity/affirmative action, Section 3 employer. Females, LGBTQ individuals, minorities, veterans, Section 3 qualifying individuals, and persons with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.