2 Oliver Street
About the Organization: Preservation of Affordable Housing (POAH) is a national nonprofit organization whose mission is to preserve, create and sustain affordable, healthy homes that support economic security, racial equity and access to opportunity for all. POAH owns and operates more than 12,000 affordable homes at more than 120 properties in 11 states and the District of Columbia. POAH is based in Boston with offices in Chicago and Washington D.C.
POAH’s reach is national in scope, and its pursuit of the preservation mission is empowered by a focus on the business bottom line. Its strong reputation is the result of a demonstrated ability to craft complex financial transactions, tackle tough multi-family projects, and close deals that preserve the affordability of at-risk properties. The organization and its leaders are at the forefront of policy and legislative discussions around housing preservation, affordable housing finance and regulatory reform, including energy efficiency in the multifamily sector.
The POAH team is dedicated, creative and passionate. We believe a diverse and inclusive team is a stronger, smarter team, and we actively promote diversity and meaningful inclusion of different perspectives among our board, our staff, our partners, in our procurement of good and services, and at our communities. We understand that addressing structural racism and achieving racial equity are central to the work we do and we proactively integrate the issue of race in our housing work.
About the opportunity: POAH is seeking a Boston-based Project Manager to join its Real Estate Development team. With the oversight and support of one of POAH’s senior development team members, Project Managers oversee two or more developments simultaneously, participating in project ‘life’ from acquisition to completion of construction and lease-up, including financial analysis, design and construction, and transfer of the completed project to the property management function. Some of the Project Manager’s specific and essential tasks may include:
- Identifying project opportunities and defining project scope.
- Determining financial feasibility in consultation with other team members.
- Assembling a team of professionals including architect, engineer, real estate broker, lawyer and contractor, and coordinating their work with other team members, including colleagues and client staff.
- Working with a team of consultants and community stakeholders on master planning, design, and permitting.
- Collaborating with and presenting to community stakeholders including residents, neighbors, public agencies and other groups
- Establishing and managing the project budget to achieve projected financial objectives, tracking costs, analyzing and resolving budget shortfalls.
- Monitoring design and construction in the context of local building codes, efficiency, and the principles of sound property management.
Experience & Knowledge
Candidates for this position should possess at least 2 years of relevant experience and knowledge in some or all of the following areas:
- Housing and community development, especially affordable housing and the regulations and financing applicable to the industry;
- Conceiving of projects and promoting them to diverse audiences, including community-based and tenant organizations.
- Experience in the area of mixed income, mixed use development, and master planning
- Structuring, negotiating and bringing deals to closure;
- Public and private financing and transaction structuring.
- Design and construction management, including multi-family construction and rehab;
- Establishing, monitoring, and achieving projected development budgets;
- Regulatory issues related to real estate development work;
Candidates should have demonstrated ability to:
- Lead a team with diverse interests and backgrounds
- Communicate effectively in person and in writing
- Perform spreadsheet and other financial analyses,
- Make convincing public presentations using PowerPoint and other tools
- Manage simultaneous and competing activities and demands, and
- Remain organized and meet deadlines.
- Ability to travel
- Ability to attend periodic evening meetings
Salaries are competitive and commensurate with experience. Benefits include medical, dental, vision, life and disability insurances, 401k retirement plan with company match, generous paid time off, and employee professional development budget.
POAH is an Equal Opportunity employer committed to diversity in the workplace.
Candidates are required to submit a cover letter along with their resume to be considered for this role.
The application can be found: https://tinyurl.com/POAHPM22