76 Progress Drive, Suite 140
The Organization and Opportunity
New Neighborhoods, Inc. (NNI), the longest standing nonprofit real estate developer in Stamford and Fairfield County, has launched the search for its next President and CEO.
The mission of NNI is to be at the forefront of creating sustainable communities by developing, redeveloping and preserving quality housing that strengthens low- and moderate-income families, allows seniors to age with dignity, provides stability for the formerly homeless and affords all residents opportunities to realize their dreams. As NNI celebrates its 50th anniversary, the organization is proud to be the longest standing nonprofit real estate developer in Stamford and Fairfield County, and remains unwavering in its belief that economic success and independence can be achieved through permanent residence.
As the pioneer of low- and moderate- income housing in Fairfield County, NNI has developed and overhauled more types of housing than any other nonprofit in Connecticut: co-ops, condominiums, family rentals, senior citizen apartments, high-rise, low-rise, rehabilitations, preservation, conversions, new construction and modular. The organization’s three main areas of focus are housing development, property management and a tenant advocate program.
The organization has a year-round staff of 22, and is governed by a 10-member board of directors. For the fiscal year ending December 31, 2016, total revenues were $8.8 million and total portfolio property value of $78.5 million.
Following the transition of its long-time leader, NNI now seeks a leader who can build upon the organization’s recognized assets to address and meet the continued and growing need for affordable housing in the region. Organizational priorities include the following:
- Revitalizing the housing development pipeline
- Delivering strategic communications to increase public awareness; being the key voice for affordable housing in Fairfield County
- Facilitating staff professional development; further strengthening the board of directors
- Ensuring sustainability by diversifying and being open to new directions for funding sources; strengthening and expanding collaborations and alliances
- Expanding on the organization’s consulting services as an SME to other nonprofit organizations
The Ideal Candidate
The Board of Directors of New Neighborhoods, Inc. is seeking a leader who can build upon the organization’s recognized assets to address and meet the continued and growing need for affordable housing in the region. They are seeking candidates who can a strike a balance between managing internal operations, with a focus on complex finances, and serving as a change agent to provide strategic and visionary leadership. The next leader of NNI will be a passionate, seasoned affordable housing professional whose experience as a visionary, strategic planner and entrepreneur will bring growth to the organization and the region. Skilled in relationship management and development, the right individual can effectively work with a board of directors, develop a talented staff, and nurture and cultivate collaborative partnerships with a wide variety of external partners and stakeholders. The next President and CEO of NNI will be a systems thinker and understand the big picture and affordable housing’s role in promoting social good and change; diversity, equity and inclusion; and economic justice.
The board of NNI seeks candidates for the CEO role with proven ability in the following areas:
- Senior Leadership, Strategic Thinking and Planning
- Community Collaborations and Alliances / Public Relations and Strategic Communications
- Financial Management and Planning
- Board and Policy Development
- Operational Management and Staff Development
Minimum qualifications include:
- At least 10 years of progressive, senior-level relevant nonprofit, staff management and affordable housing experience, including at least five years leading, inspiring and managing a diverse staff.
- Understanding of and successful experience in affordable housing development and management, nonprofit accounting, governmental compliance requirements, and grants management.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Bachelors’ degree required. Master’s in business, public administration or related field preferred.
Personal characteristics and leadership attributes and qualities that will be highly valued include:
- Effective listener; Excellent Communicator; Open-Minded
- Relationship/coalition builder; approachable; fair; passionate
- Strongly committed to equity, diversity and inclusion
- Self-confident, diplomatic; honest; sense of humor
- Well-organized, results-driven and inspiring; sense of humor
- Enthusiastic, focused, driven; visionary; entrepreneurial
Submission of Candidacy
This national search is being conducted by TSNE MissionWorks’ Executive Transitions Program with Transition Consultants Catherine Bradshaw and Michael Negrón. All submissions are confidential. For complete position profile and submission guidelines please visit http://www.tsne.org/president-and-ceo-new-neighborhoods-inc
New Neighborhoods, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer and actively seeks a diverse pool of candidates.