2 Oliver Street
About the Organization: Preservation of Affordable Housing, Inc. (POAH) is a national nonprofit
organization whose mission is to preserve, create and sustain affordable, healthy homes that support
economic security, racial equity and access to opportunity for all. POAH owns and operates more than
12,000 affordable homes at more than 120 properties in 11 states and the District of Columbia. POAH is
based in Boston with offices in Chicago and Washington, DC.
POAH’s reach is national in scope, and its pursuit of the preservation mission is empowered by a focus
on the business bottom line. Its strong reputation is the result of a demonstrated ability to craft
complex financial transactions, tackle tough multi-family projects, and close deals that preserve the
affordability of at-risk properties. The organization and its leaders are at the forefront of policy and
legislative discussions around housing preservation, affordable housing finance and regulatory reform,
including energy efficiency in the multifamily sector.
The POAH team is dedicated, creative and passionate. We believe a diverse and inclusive team is a
stronger, smarter team, and we actively promote diversity and meaningful inclusion of different
perspectives among our board, our staff, our partners, in our procurement of good and services, and at
our communities. We understand that addressing structural racism and achieving racial equity are
central to the work we do and we proactively integrate the issue of race in our housing work.
About the Opportunity: POAH is seeking a Boston-based Paralegal to work with its in-house legal team. The legal team is responsible for managing the corporate legal needs of the company as well as supporting the legal aspects of loan and property closings.
The Paralegal will serve in an important role by providing general legal and business administrative assistance to POAH staff members relative to:
- Legal document filing / record keeping for POAH, including corporate governance support and service of process
- Managing the process of forming and maintaining corporate entities and related tasks (including obtaining tax ID and DUNS numbers, managing federal contractor registration, and managing POAH’s outside entity management vendor)
- Assisting with federal grant administration with primary responsibility for performance reporting
- Assisting legal and development teams with creation of legal documents, including secretary certificates, notes, and various forms of contracts including AIA construction contracts
- Real estate closing coordination with real estate development staff, including managing document execution for complex transactions with numerous documents
- Work collaboratively across departments, including support for acquisitions, asset management, development, finance and property management staff
Required Education and Experience:
- B.A. or B.S. preferred; equivalent relevant work experience considered. (Paralegal certification helpful but not required)
- Minimum of 3 years of experience in related paralegal or closing associate work, preferably in a real estate related company, a bank or a law firm
- Experience with legal entity management highly preferable.
- Expert proficiency in use of computers including Word, Outlook and Excel.
- Familiarity with basic concepts of real estate law, particularly experience with multifamily real estate closings and associated legal documentation (mortgages, notes, loan agreements, deeds, regulatory agreements, subsidy, etc.)
Skills: Candidates should have demonstrated ability in some or all of the following areas:
- Database management and administration
- Organizational skills
- Manage projects and tasks independently
- Scrupulous attention to detail
- Communicate effectively in person and in writing
- Perform administrative tasks to support POAH staff
- Demonstrate a high degree of accuracy and initiative in work assignments
- Independently manage simultaneous and competing activities and demands
- Remain organized and meet deadlines
Salaries are competitive and commensurate with experience. Benefits include health, dental, life and short/long term disability insurance, and a 401k retirement plan with company match component.
POAH is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Diverse candidates are encouraged to apply.
To apply, click here: https://tinyurl.com/POAHlegal
Applicants must include cover letter and resume.