430 Belmont Street
(Emergency Shelter and 24-hour staffing for Families and Individuals)
Father Bill’s & MainSpring is committed to ending and preventing homelessness in Southern Massachusetts with programs that provide emergency and permanent housing and help people obtain skills, jobs, housing, and services. We help people who are struggling with homelessness or are at risk of homelessness to achieve self-sufficiency.
Father Bill’s & MainSpring is a growing and dynamic social service agency with particular expertise in emergency and permanent housing, job training and placement, and prevention services for individuals and families in need. Over the next five years, our strategic focus includes an increase in affordable, permanent supportive housing, a more efficient model of care for families experiencing homelessness, commitment to an enhanced delivery model to reduce the need for shelter, and improved community relations in order to achieve these goals. Our staff are thoughtful and caring individuals who share our passion for these ideals and creative approaches to helping people improve their lives.
We offer a generous benefits package and a comprehensive orientation and training program, as well as ample opportunities for advancement for qualified individuals who show a commitment to our Mission.
The Operations Director will oversee day-to-day operations at the shelter and housing sites requiring 24-hour staff support. This position directly supervises the Operations leadership team and is responsible for all safety, security and food services at FBMS sites ensuring alignment with a Housing 1st, Harm Reduction framework. Full-time position, flexible hours reporting to the Senior Programs Director. Master’s Degree in Operations Management, Business Management, or other related field and a minimum of 5 years of supervisor experience within a non-profit organization is required.
• Ensure smooth daily operations at each shelter site and buildings owned and operated by FBMS. Ensure the safety and security of the guests/participants, employees, while maintaining a low threshold, housing 1st framework.
• Ensure sites are met with adequate staffing and supervision. Monitor staffing needs and minimize use of overtime. Partner with Property Management team to address facility-related issues in a proactive and timely fashion.
• Support an environment of collaboration, communication and teamwork between operations and services staff, maintaining a singular focus of moving people into and sustaining a housing solution to their homelessness.
• Be prepared to de-escalate crisis situations and support staff in de-briefing difficult situations. Assess issues related to building operations. Coordinate with the property management teams on all building/site-related projects and maintenance efforts.
• Provide oversight of the operations at each site. Partner with Regional Directors to assess staff approach with guests/participants and implementation of the Housing 1st approach. Help to identify and implement changes in operations that promote FBMS’ goals, service philosophy and programming.
• Hire, train, supervise, guide and support the Management team for Father Bill’s Place, MainSpring House, Evelyn House, Conway House, the Plymouth Seasonal Shelter and FBMS-owned sites requiring 24/7 staff support. Provide individual and team supervision. Supervise and advise the Management team in any issues or challenges related to staff. Ensure personnel issues are addressed timely and in collaboration with Human Resources and other requisite staff.
• Establish and ensure that monitoring of recordkeeping is occurring within the program. Maintain the privacy of all guest information in accordance with agency policies, procedures, and practices, as required by law, and in accordance with general principles of professionalism as a social service provider.
• Track contract adherence and goals. Support the preparation of regular progress reports to ensure programs are meeting goals and objectives. Ensure that files are up to date and in compliance with all State and federal contracts. Interface with funders, identifying and resolving any concerns. Ensure systems are in place for quality assurance by management team.
• Community relations: Maintain knowledge about area vendors and facilities related agencies to ensure the buildings are being maintained at all times. Maintain relationships with, and cooperate with, various community providers in order to access services for guests.
• Highly organized with strong attention to detail and ability to meet deadlines.
• Comfortable and skilled in working with budgets and data, experience with HMIS, HUD reporting (Annual Performance Reviews) preferred.
• Strong analytical, critical thinking, problem-solving and planning skills a must.
Skills & Competencies:
• Empathy: An understanding and empathy for those dealing with homelessness and related issues.
• Professionalism: Maintains the highest level of professionalism in the delivery of services, building of relationships, collaboration with co-workers, and representation of Father Bill’s & MainSpring within the organization and the community.
• Communication: Speaks appropriately in positive and/or negative conversations with supervisors, co-workers, volunteers, donors and constituents; Articulates the goals of Father Bill’s & MainSpring.
• Record-Keeping: Routine clerical or record-keeping incidental to the essential responsibilities of the job (including, but not limited to, data entry and case file updates).
• Job Knowledge: Possesses the practical and technical knowledge required on the job.
• Attendance: Acceptable overall attendance record, consistently at work and on time.
• Reliability: Relied upon regarding task completion and follow-up. Follows instructions, responds to management direction and solicits feedback to improve performance.
• Initiative: Seeks out new assignments and is willing to be flexible with additional duties.
• Adherence to Policy: Follows safety and workplace expectations, regulations and processes as defined in the Employee Handbook.
• Work Ethic: Demonstrates a commitment to the Mission and adheres to the Operating Principles of Father Bill’s & MainSpring and works as part of a team toward a common goal.
• Safety & Security: Actively promotes and personally observes safety and security procedures, and uses equipment and materials properly.
• Travel: Local travel may be required. Valid driver’s license and good driving record required.
• Physical Demands: The demands described below are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
o Must be able to verbally convey detailed information or important instructions or ideas accurately or quickly. Must be able to hear average or normal conversations and receive ordinary information. Average visual acuity is necessary.
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive list of activities, duties or responsibilities required of the employee. Other duties as assigned may be part of the job.
Father Bill’s & MainSpring is an equal opportunity employer.
Send cover letter & resume to email@example.com and indicate in subject line of email position you are applying for.