One Beacon Street
Since its inception in 1966, MassHousing has supported affordable home ownership and rental housing opportunities throughout Massachusetts. The Agency has provided more than $25 billion for affordable housing in that time. Currently, MassHousing is seeking an experienced leader for the position of Multifamily Lending Origination Manager to continue the Agency’s storied history of affordable housing funding.
The Multifamily Lending Origination Manager serves as member of the Rental Business Development leadership team responsible for implementing the agency’s vision for the Division. The Multifamily Lending Origination Manager reports to the Division Director with whom they work closely to oversee a robust origination initiative in a competitive and dynamic affordable rental housing lending market. Originators and Origination Analysts report to the Multifamily Lending Origination Manager.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
Business Development and Cultivating Borrower Relationships
- Work with VP of Multifamily and Rental Business Development Director to develop and execute a structured plan to increase the Agency’s rental lending outreach efforts.
- Oversee Origination team members in marketing MassHousing rental lending products, developing leads, convening borrower meetings and originating loans with new and existing borrowers.
- Remain current about changes in the affordable housing, community development and multi-family lending industries and participate in external events to promote MassHousing throughout the Commonwealth.
Origination Pipeline Management
- Work with the VP of Multifamily and the Division Director to develop annual origination goals.
- Supervise and oversee Originators in originating, analyzing, making loan offers and negotiating terms; as well as facilitating and participating in loan approval, closing and asset management.
- Supervise Origination Analysts.
- Communicate and manage workflow and priorities.
- Convene and oversee pipeline tracking meetings with Origination team to discuss progress of specific transactions and borrower relationships.
- Develop and maintain strong alliances with internal business partners, including colleagues in rental underwriting, legal, rental management, communications and finance divisions/departments.
Product, Policy and Program Development
- Support the Agency’s ongoing effort to improve the lending workflow process to enhance borrowers’ experience and ensure the Agency’s ongoing competitiveness.
- Based on outreach initiatives and general industry knowledge, identify gaps in the Agency’s rental lending product line.
- Work with Rental Lending and Agency colleagues on policy initiatives and the development and implementation of mission-driven programs and products (e.g. such as workforce housing and senior housing.
- Work with the VP of Multifamily and the Division Director to create and update content for MassHousing’s website and rental lending marketing materials.
Staff Development and Continuous Improvement
- Establish a professional development goal for each direct report and develop a personalized training and development plan. Monitor progress of achieving the goal(s) and ascertain whether the training plan needs to be adjusted.
- Provide ongoing feedback and coaching through one-on-one meetings with direct reports.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required
- Knowledge of real estate financial analysis and real estate finance principals.
- Knowledge and experience in the affordable housing industry including tax credits, government and private lending platforms.
- Exceptional critical thinking, negotiation and problem-solving skills and experience.
- Excellent organizational, written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to respond to needs of customers and key internal and external stakeholders, collaborate with co-workers and business partners, resolve conflict effectively and respond to changing priorities.
- Supervisory/people management experience.
Minimum Education and Training
- Bachelor’s Degree required; preference for candidates with advanced degrees in Finance, Real Estate, Business Administration or related field.
- Ten years or more of substantive experience in affordable and/or real estate finance.
All positions at MassHousing require a customer service mindset, in accordance with our values: Integrity, Excellence, Collaboration, Respect, Accountability and Service. Inherent in these values is our commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion for all.
This position has been designated as "Flex" under MassHousing's AWS-hybrid work model.
MassHousing offers competitive compensation as well as an attractive benefits package. Serious candidates should forward a letter of interest and a resume to MassHousing at https://prd01-hcm01.prd.mykronos.com/ta/6003873.careers?CareersSearch.
MassHousing is an Equal Opportunity Employer.