44 Washington St
RIHousing – Multifamily Housing Compliance Manager
Salary - $75,775.80 - $109,652.04
RIHousing is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
What it’s all about:
This position is accountable for the cost-effective management of the multifamily rental housing compliance department, including the administration of contracts with HUD and owner/agents of multi-family housing developments, primarily Rhode Island Performance Based Contract Administration (PBCA) and Low-Income Housing Tax Credit (LIHTC) portfolios. The incumbent will ensure compliance with appropriate federal, state and RIHousing program guidelines and policies through independent research, staff training and by developing positive, working relationships with the Internal Revenue Service (IRS), HUD, and other Federal and State agencies, as well as owners, agents, and residents. Incumbent may be required to maintain a portfolio and perform file audits and physical inspections along with completing specialized and/or technical administrative and/or reporting functions as assigned.
What you’ll do on a daily basis:
- Provide daily supervision, training, and technical support to the Compliance staff to ensure compliance with Internal Revenue Service and HUD rules and regulations and internal policies/procedures.
- Research regulations and drafts policies and procedures for staff to ensure program compliance and productive, efficient workflow.
- Conduct physical property inspections, approving units for occupancy to ensure decent, safe, and sanitary housing conditions are met and maintained at assigned developments.
- Analyze contract renewal requests to ensure that terms provide for long term sustainability of the Development.
- Ensure that all non-compliance notices are completed accurately and timely. Will also work with staff and property owners to resolve complex compliance related findings.
- Perform welcome meetings with Sponsors/Agents and follow through the rent-up process ensuring all pertinent information is received prior to conducting the initial LIHTC certification review.
- Provide outreach and trainings to HOME sponsors and multifamily property owners/managers as needed.
- Maintain master LIHTC, HOME, REAC and HUD/Section 8 PBCA inspection schedules and determines portfolio assignments for staff.
- Assist in the mediation/resolution complex owner/tenant problems in a timely and professional manner to minimize risk to RIHousing.
- Oversee quality assurance of final maintenance in RIHousing’s electronic storage system.
- Perform special projects or research as assigned.
What you’ll bring to the team:
This position supervises and trains the Multifamily Asset Managers and Senior Asset Managers daily to ensure that all management related functions required of the various federal and state programs are performed in an accurate and timely manner and in accordance with applicable regulations as well as internal policies/procedures. Manage the workflow of staff and establish and maintain performance standards. Responsible for conducting monthly and annual physical property inspections and/or file reviews to ensure decent, safe, and sanitary housing conditions; drafting appropriate inspection reports and correspondence to managing agents/owners; and ensuring that any deficiencies are corrected through prompt follow-up and file maintenance. Incumbent provides technical assistance to management companies on maintenance/operational issues to assist in resolving tenant problems. The incumbent resolves complex operational and human resource problems as needed.
The incumbent will work closely with the senior staff of the Leased Housing Division to implement policies that will positively impact the Corporation’s rental housing portfolio and contract administration responsibilities. This will include coordination with the Assistant Director of Design and Construction to ensure all new units being constructed or renovated are designed in a manner that promotes long term viability and compliance with Uniform Physical Condition Standards. The incumbent will also work closely with the Rental Housing Training Coordinator to ensure that our property owners and management partners are equipped with accurate and timely information regarding compliance with federal and state housing related regulations.
The incumbent will have administrative rights in order to perform necessary technical functions in the Housing Development Software (HDS) and Web Tenant Compliance (WTC) software and will monitor tenant data collection, and owner/agent/sponsor performance for the LIHTC and HOME Programs. Generate reports from HDS and WTC for various reporting requests for various RIHousing departments.
Coordinate program needs and contract obligations with HUD, owner/agents, property management representatives and other parties. Process a variety of documentation in accordance with the HUD Section 8 Contract Renewal Guide including, but not limited to, Annual Contributions Contracts, Housing Assistance Payments Contracts, Management and Occupancy Reviews, and Rental Adjustments. Processes Vacancy/Unpaid Rent and Damages Special Claims.
What you’ll need to succeed:
- Bachelor’s degree in real estate, business administration or related field; tax credit compliance certification.
- Minimum seven years related housing management experience including supervision and training.
- Tax credit compliance and Section 8 certifications obtained through nationally recognized affordable housing training organizations.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong analytical, problem solving, organizational, negotiations and computer skills.
- Bilingual ability preferred
- Use of personal vehicle, valid driver’s license and proof of insurance is required.
- Mission Driven Organization
- Dedicated Workforce
- Competitive salary
- Parking Stipend
- Medical/Dental/Vision/Life Insurance
- Paid Time Off
- Retirement Options
- Flexible Work Hours
- If Position Eligible, Future Hybrid Work May Be Available
- Education Reimbursement
- Onsite Fitness Classes
- Volunteer Days
- Winner of “Best Places to Work” 2016, 2018, 2019, 2021, 2022
- Worksite Health Award 2013-2021
RIHousing strives to ensure that all people who live or work in Rhode Island can afford a healthy, attractive home that meets their needs. A good home provides the foundation upon which individuals and families thrive, children learn and grow, and communities prosper.
To achieve our mission, we:
- Offer fair, affordable, and innovative lending programs.
- Provide housing-related education to consumers and others.
- Promote and finance sensible development that builds healthy, vibrant communities.
- Provide housing grants and subsidies to Rhode Islanders with the greatest need.
- Team up with partners to improve everything we do.
RIHousing uses its resources to provide low-interest loans, grants, education, and assistance to help Rhode Islanders find, rent, buy, build, and keep a good home. Created by the General Assembly in 1973, RIHousing is a privately funded public purpose corporation. RIHousing requires its employees to be highly motivated and knowledgeable, have a sound understanding of the changing needs of Rhode Island's housing market, be willing to work within and toward a smoothly integrated operation, demonstrate a commitment to serve the people of Rhode Island, especially those with low and moderate incomes in need of safe and affordable homes, and possess a high level of integrity and deep respect for all Rhode Islanders, including customers, partners and fellow employees.
Apply on company website - www.rihousing.com/careers