1035 Cambridge Street
Just-A-Start Corporation (JAS) is looking for a part-time Mediator to become part of Just-A-Start’s Housing Resources Team. You will provide conflict resolution and coaching services to clients outside of court with a focus on landlord/tenant relationships and will mediate civil and summary process matters in district courts in greater Boston.
This is a 15 hour per week position with an hourly rate of $35-$40. JAS Employees working less than 20 hours per week have access to our Employee Assistance Program (EAP), paid sick time and a 401k savings plan with a 3% employer contribution.
- Provide conflict resolution services, coaching and legal education outside of court to stabilize landlord-tenant relationships. Most of this work is by telephone, however, the ability to meet with parties in Cambridge and Malden will occasionally be necessary post-Covid.
- Keep up to date on rental assistance programs in order to make appropriate referrals for tenants at risk of eviction and prepare occasional trainings on conflict resolution, affordable housing, and eviction prevention.
- Maintaining daily records, spreadsheet and files for each conflict resolution case as well as data privacy protocols. Assist in preparing quarterly reports for multiple contracts and occasional presentations on work.
Skills & Experience:
- Certificate in Basic Mediation Training required with minimum of 2 years’ experience, preferably in human services, legal, housing, mental health or the non-profit sector. Alternate work experience as a lawyer also satisfies this requirement.
- Ability to think creatively and flexibly, in a non-traditional model, to resolve the nitty-gritty issues that can impact housing stability
- Cultural competency and ability to establish effective professional relationships with diverse group of participants.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office including Power Point, intermediate Excel/Word
- Bi-lingual in Spanish, Haitian Creole, Portuguese, or Mandarin preferred
- BS/BA required
Just-A-Start (JAS) is a community-based, not-for-profit organization dedicated to building a better future by providing affordable housing, education, training, community engagement and supportive services. Since 1970 JAS has been serving residents of Cambridge and surrounding communities to promote equity by creating access to stable housing and building pathways to economic opportunity. Visit us at www.justastart.org to learn more.
Just A Start is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Our staff represents a wide range of ages, races, interests, and backgrounds coming together in pursuit of common goals. Together, we strive to provide an environment that values diversity and promotes an inclusive culture. Applications from women and minority candidates are strongly encouraged. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions or any other characteristic
Resume and cover letter required.