594 Columbia Road
About the Role
Reporting to the Director of Small Business, the entrepreneurial Lending and Outreach Officer will engage in business development efforts aimed at growing our loan portfolio and work on reaching underserved corners of Boston’s credit markets is central to the role. The Lending and Outreach Officer will promote Dorchester Bay’s products and services, cultivate relationships to generate leads, and provide a first-rate client experience including intake, loan packaging, performing financial analyses and providing credit recommendations based on Dorchester Bay’s underwriting criteria, presenting a final recommendation to the CEO and Loan Committee, and supporting clients through closing.
What you can expect to do in the role:
- Promote Dorchester Bay loan products to small business prospects, community lenders, community partners, and financial institutions;
- Cultivate relationships with community partners, civic organizations, financial institutions, small business lenders, trade organizations, businesses, and education centers, to generate new partnerships for volume and quality client referrals;
- Work directly with Dorchester Bay technical assistance staff and Boston-based community partners in supporting entrepreneurs, startup and growing businesses to assist clients with the development of business plans, financial cash flow projections, sales/pricing, and market analysis;
- Conduct outreach in Dorchester Bay’s footprint—with an initial focus on Dorchester, Roxbury, and Mattapan—through in-person meetings and presentations and by using digital tools to reach Dorchester Bay’s key markets;
- Represent Dorchester Bay at business and industry events.
- Pre-screen, compile, structure, and analyze loan applications for eligibility, credit worthiness and repayment ability using established credit guidelines.
- Ensure that proper due diligence has been performed at every step of the process, including financial analysis, collateral analysis, or any other special circumstances.
- Present loan analysis of all pertinent information to the CEO and Credit Committee, including recommendations for approval/denial.
- Guide clients through the loan process. Prepare loan documents and complete loan closings.
- Monitor market trends and opportunities.
- Enter data into CRM and work across teams to understand trends and adjust outreach strategies for improved lead quality.
- Assist with the development and implementation of products, services, and special initiatives within Dorchester Bay’s service area.
Qualifications – You’ll do well in this role if you:
- Want to work at an organization that is committed to racial equity and serves a diverse community predominantly of color.
- Are people and community-focused and have the ability to engage people from a wide array of backgrounds.
- Have an understanding of and demonstrated commitment to racial equity.
- Be energized and motivated to assist entrepreneurs and small business owners with emphasis in serving challenged and under-resourced small businesses represented by minority, immigrants, and women owned clientele in Dorchester Bay’s target communities.
- Minimum of 3 years of previous lending experience is required. Other relevant business development or sales experience may be substituted for lending experience.
- Demonstrated understanding how to develop and read financial statements, ratios, cash flow, and forecasting.
- Organized and a goal-oriented thinker who can set clear priorities among multiple tasks and stay focused on project benchmarks and deadlines.
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills (English language), with cultural competency to connect with a diverse audience.
- Strong presentation skills, both in-person and in the virtual environment.
- Strong customer service and relationship-building skills with an awareness of how to connect resources and increase referrals.
- Proficient with virtual office environment and tools including, but not limited to: Zoom, Microsoft Teams, Google Meets and comfortable entering and tracking data in CRMs.
- Working knowledge of MS Office Suite or similar software.
- Highly-motivated with an entrepreneurial spirit and strong ability to work independently, but can also be a positive contributor to team and organizational efforts.
- Demonstrates sound judgment and effective decision-making skills.
- Self-awareness with a flexible, growth-oriented mindset.
- The right fit would be someone intellectually ambitious and always holding themselves accountable to a high bar of performance.
- Can work occasional evening or weekend to support activities needed outside of regular business hours.
- Can work in physical environments (this is not a fully remote position).
It would be additionally phenomenal if you:
- Knowledge of banking or small business experience a plus.
- Verbal and written fluency in Cape Verdean Kriolu, Haitian Creole, Spanish, or Vietnamese is highly desired
- Experience in mission-oriented or social impact lending financial analysis, deal structuring, and relationship and loan processing management are desirable.
- Experience with the CDFI industry highly preferred.
- Knowledge of Boston’s small business ecosystem is highly preferred.
- Knowledge of digital communication and social media tools a plus.
Other important details:
- Don’t be discouraged from applying if you don’t “check all the boxes”. We appreciate the uniqueness of candidates and there is no “perfect’ resume!
- Salary range: $70,000 - $80,000
DBEDC’s total compensation package features an amazing set of benefits which we considered towards the overall compensation, including:
- (5) Generous cost-sharing medical insurance packages for selection and no eligible waiting period.
- Employer paid Dental and Vision coverage
- Flexible Spending Account and Dependent Care Assistance program
- Short-Term Disability, Long-Term Disability, Life and Accident Death
- Commuter Benefits Program
- Employee Wellbeing On-Demand Services
- Perks at Work Program
- 3 personal days
- 3 weeks’ vacation to start
- 15 sick days
- 17 paid holidays
- Birthday leave
- 5 volunteer days
- 403 (b) plan with generous employer contribution
- Flexible hybrid work environment
To apply for this opportunity, please click here or visit https://j.brt.mv/jb.do?reqGK=27693238. Please submit a cover letter, detailing your interest and qualifications for this opportunity, along with a resume. No phone calls or letters please.