93 Highland Avenue
Somerville , MA
OSPCD - Housing
The Inclusionary Housing Program Manager manages the City’s Inclusionary Housing Program. The employee oversees all program management, including supervision of program staff. The employee is responsible for reporting on Inclusionary Housing activities to Assistant Housing Director, Housing Director, and other Mayor’s Office of Strategic Planning and Community Development staff as needed. Reporting to relevant City Council committee(s) also will be within expected duties.
The essential functions or duties listed below are intended only as illustrations of the various type of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position.
Management of the Inclusionary Housing Program will include activities such as meeting with developers, responding to inquiries from both developers and applicants, tracking inclusionary projects, assistance with marketing projects, coordinating with the monitoring and compliance team and counseling parties such as applicants, attorneys, mortgage brokers, developers, etc. related to the Inclusionary rental and home buying process. Other activities related specifically to Inclusionary housing or related housing programs include:
- Supervising Inclusionary Housing Program staff to successfully administer what is currently the City’s primary vehicle for affordable housing production. Specific supervisory functions include:
- leading staff in accomplishing assigned work by distributing, balancing, and shifting workload assignments among employees to advance projects within the program. Assignments may need to be adjusted based on changing project priorities.
- ensuring timely completion of work;
- instructing employees in specific Inclusionary tasks or explaining work methods to be employed and referring staff to applicable reference material and guidelines; checking work progress and reviewing completed work to see that instructions have been carried out;
- establishing standard operating procedures;
- maintaining project files from pre-lottery application to lease-up/closing;
- answering questions and resolving issues that arise in conduct of the work;
- providing on-the-job training to new employees;
- helping to resolve complaints and/or concerns of staff and referring others to the applicable supervisor as needed.
- Employee will be involved in direct program management as necessary, with specific areas including:
- Creation of a Policies and Procedures Manual for Inclusionary Housing Program
- Responsible for managing design, outreach and implementation of transition to a Consolidated Rental Waitlist; likely to include oversight of consultant(s) for at least some portions of work.
- Tracking pipeline of projects with Inclusionary housing requirements, including coordinating with Inspectional Services Department (ISD), OSPCD Planning and Zoning Division, and other Housing staff to ensure developers fulfill Inclusionary Zoning (IZ) requirements;
- Analyzing proposed developments, preparing proposals and/or counter-proposals regarding selection of affordable units;
- Determining and certifying income eligibility of applicants;
- Reviewing applications for completeness, to ensure all necessary documentation is provided for Inclusionary and/or other housing programs;
- Responding to applicant inquiries for Inclusionary housing;
- Calculating affordable housing resale prices;
- Reviewing reports on program activities, as prepared by Inclusionary Housing Specialist;
- Compiling data to help inform inclusionary program policies and for periodic reports to City Council and other stakeholders;
- Overseeing research and assisting in development of related Inclusionary recommendations, procedures and policies as needed;
- Running information sessions and other related marketing activities;
- Assisting with updating Inclusionary information and manuals on an ongoing basis, including guidance on the Housing Division’s website;
- Coordinating lease ups and unit closings;
- Work involves occasional attendance at night meetings as needed.
Bachelor’s degree and five (5) to seven (7) years’ experience; or any equivalent combination of education, training and experience which provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities to perform the essential functions of the job. Master’s degree in housing, management, policy, or related field and supervisory experience preferred.
Full Time with benefits
This position will remain open until filled. Send your resume and cover letter to:
City Hall Personnel Office
93 Highland Avenue
Somerville MA 02143
City of Somerville residents are especially encouraged to apply.
The City of Somerville is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, religion, age, national origin, disability or any other protected category. Women, minorities, veterans, and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Auxiliary aids and services, written materials in alternative formats, and reasonable modifications in policies and procedures will be provided to qualified individuals with disabilities free of charge, upon request.
Individuals with disabilities who need auxiliary aids and services for effective communication, written materials in alternative formats, or reasonable modifications in policies and procedures, in order to access the programs and activities of the City of Somerville or to attend meetings, should contact Nancy Bacci at 617-625-6600 x2250 or firstname.lastname@example.org