795 Massachusetts Avenue
ABOUT THE CITY
The City of Cambridge is a diverse and vibrant community that people of different ethnic, racial, religious, national, and other backgrounds call home. We take pride in our city’s diversity and strive to create a workplace that is reflective of the community we serve. The city is also deeply committed to creating an environment in which all our employees are treated equitably and feel included. We seek to hire, develop, and advance individuals who value antiracism, diversity, equity, and inclusion (ADEI), and are committed to embedding ADEI best practices and tenets in all aspects of our work.
ABOUT THE DEPARTMENT:
The Cambridge Office of the Housing Liaison was established in 2019 and is part of the City Manager’s Department. Staff in the Housing Liaison’s Office assist residents to access and navigate affordable housing opportunities, and to obtain eviction prevention, tenant displacement, and other housing related resources and services. The Liaison’s Office also serves as a point of contact for complex housing situations that effect tenants such as building sales, displacement from fires, and other multi household concerns.
The Office of Housing Liaison also partners with city departments including the Community Development Department (CDD) and the Department of Human Service Programs (DHSP), as well as with many affordable housing agencies, and local providers to address the affordable housing crisis in our community by implementing programs and policies that improve access and availability of housing opportunities.
ABOUT THE ROLE:
The Office of the Housing Liaison’s Housing Stabilization Advocate will augment the role of the Housing Liaison by increasing the capacity to assist Cambridge residents. The Advocate will be skilled in and able to offer on-going intensive case management services. Services will include home visits, accompaniment to housing and housing related appointments including but not limited to court, health related services, employment and benefit appointments as well as providing direct connection and establishment to adjunct services such as mental health services or home health care. Through the Housing Liaison, the Advocate will respond to referrals from and work in collaboration with all City Departments especially The Department of Human Service’s Multi Service Center and the Community Development Department’s Housing Division. They will also work closely with external affordable housing partners such as Cambridge Housing Authority, Just-A-Start, Homeowners’ Rehab Inc, providers such as Cambridge Economic Community Center and Cambridge and Somerville Legal Service and with other owners, and management companies.
Although some of the residents served may eventually be referred to existing programs, others may continue to not meet eligibility requirements and/or they may need the continued flexibility this position offers. In addition, while some residents may need short to medium term assistance, the case load of this position will primarily include residents who require extensive, individualized and on- going support.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Specific duties include but are not limited to the following:
- As assigned by the Housing Liaison, manage and respond to referrals from City Officials, City Departments, Partners, Providers and/or Self referrals that are brought to the Office of the Housing Liaison.
- Conduct a comprehensive assessment and develop a plan with the resident and all parties involved to both address the original reason for the referral and to ensure on-going stability.
- Facilitate and/or directly offer support and assistance as needed for each resident which may be daily, weekly, or monthly.
- Coordinate and lead case conferences with all parties involved as needed.
- Serve as the primary point person for the resident throughout initial engagement and, as needed for crisis or concerns that arise thereafter and as appropriate in accordance with service plan.
- Maintain records, data and documentation of all efforts and work closely with the Housing Liaison to report on outcomes.
- Work closely with Housing Liaison and Multi Service Staff to respond to community crisis or concerns such as fires and or sales of buildings.
- Attend special events and meetings.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- At least 10 years of professional experience in providing direct, intensive services.
- Demonstrated experience of field-based case management working with adults in crisis or those with complex situations or needs.
- Ability and willingness to offer home visits and accompaniment to appointments and services.
- Demonstrated ability to establish working relationships with persons in crisis and/or those with mental, behavioral, cognitive or other challenges or needs.
- Knowledge of housing and housing related services and resources including knowledge of tenant/landlord rights and responsibilities, public benefit programs, and myriad health services and resources.
- Ability to work both independently and with a team.
- Ability to demonstrate flexibility and creativity in problem solving.
- Experience coordinating case conferences.
- Ability to communicate clearly both verbally and in writing.
- Commitment to racial justice willingness and interest in participation in the City’s Race and Equity Initiative.
- The City of Cambridge's workforce, like the community it serves, is diverse. Applicants must have the ability to work and interact effectively with individuals and groups with a variety of identities, cultures, backgrounds, and ideologies.
- Fluency in Spanish or other language.
Ability to travel to see residents in homes and/or accompany to appointments. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Work will both be off site including home visits and other locations as needed and appropriate and in an office environment with fluorescent lighting.
Click on link to career center below to apply. Applications requested by 8/23/23. A resume and cover letter is required. We are an AA/EEO Employer.