66-70 Union Square
The Community Action Agency of Somerville (CAAS), a private, non-profit agency incorporated in 1981, is the Federally designated anti-poverty agency for Somerville. The mission of CAAS is to reduce poverty among local families and individuals while working to counteract, and whenever possible, eliminate, the societal conditions that cause and perpetuate poverty.
The CAAS Homelessness Prevention Program (HPP) provides advocacy and case management to low income Somerville residents at risk of homelessness.
The primary focus of HPP is to empower tenants and give them the resources to avoid homelessness and move towards sustainability. The Housing Search and Stabilization Advocate focuses specifically on individuals and families referred by the Somerville Office of Housing Stability who are at risk of displacement due to the loss of a housing subsidy, who are in need of re-housing, who are homeless, doubled-up, or in unsustainable housing.
- Perform screening and intake, and determine eligibility of referred clients.
- Assist clients in identifying and pursuing housing options: complete and follow up on applications for public housing and other subsidized options.
- Advocate for priority status where applicable.
- Provide in-depth searches for a wide range of housing, including private housing options.
- Support clients in representing themselves and communicating with landlords, property managers, realtors, etc.
- Coordinate efforts with HPP Housing Advocates in cases already in court.
- Maximize financial and supportive resources, and help clients address other barriers to stable housing.
- Provide case management by maintaining monthly communication with clients for three months after obtaining housing and quarterly thereafter for one year.
- Input data, maintain records and documentation, and provide reports on progress and outcomes as requested.
- Associate’s Degree in Human Services, liberal arts, or other related field, or equivalent experience.
- Experience doing Housing Search and Stabilization a plus; working in direct services and crisis intervention preferred; familiarity with a wide array of supports and opportunities available to low income families, and familiarity with trauma-based approaches preferred.
- Comfortable addressing large and small groups necessary.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Experience using client management database system preferred.
- Comfortable usingGoogle applications including Gmail and Drive
- Ability to travel to housing developments, rental offices, agency sites, etc., scattered throughout the metropolitan area.
- Ability to communicate in a second language (Haitian Creole, Portuguese, Spanish) strongly preferred.
- Acceptable CORI required.
Send cover letter and resume to: email@example.com