44 Washington Street
RIHousing – Homeowner Assistance Fund (HAF) Program Underwriter
Salary - $57,363.38 - $83,176.90
RIHousing is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
What it’s all about:
This grant-funded position is accountable for ensuring that all Homeowner Assistance Fund (HAF) awards conform to federal, state, and IRS regulations and RIHousing program requirements. This is achieved through prudent analysis of borrower-furnished documentation and credit and income analysis. This position will continue while the program is funded.
What you’ll do on a daily basis:
- Perform the credit decision function to ensure that HAF award decisions are in compliance with IRS, federal/state regulations, and program requirements. Approve or deny applications based on prudent underwriting decisions.
- Input data into program portal in an accurate and timely manner.
- Work with local and national mortgage servicers to find the best solutions for homeowners.
- Perform special projects and research as assigned.
What you’ll bring to the team:
This position performs the Homeowner Assistance Fund processing, underwriting, and preclosing functions. The underwriter ensures that award decisions are in compliance with IRS, federal/state regulations, and program requirements. Incumbent determines borrower’s program eligibility, loan servicer/lender’s participation, and examines documentation to determine borrower’s hardship. The applicant’s income, assets, and existing mortgage(s) are reviewed to determine appropriate assistance. The underwriter must have an understanding of federal modification programs and/or the appropriate lender/servicer’s propriety modification program to ensure that the lender and homeowner qualify for HAF assistance.
Incumbent makes the decision to approve or deny an application. Incumbent reviews existing mortgage documentation to ensure compliance with program requirements prior to closing. Incumbent inputs application data into the program’s online portal and generates application status and award conditions. Incumbent works closely with loan servicers and internal colleagues to maximize the program’s success and penetration.
What you’ll need to succeed:
- Minimum three years experience in mortgage or consumer loan processing
- First mortgage underwriting experience is not required
- Grant administration experience preferred
- Knowledge of Conventional and Government-Insured mortgage programs
- Knowledge of federal loan modification programs and loss mitigation tools
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills, strong analytical, computer, problem-solving and organizational skills
- Bilingual (Spanish required)
- Bachelor’s degree in business administration, real estate, or related field preferred
- Competitive salary
- Parking Stipend
- Medical/Dental/Vision/Life Insurance
- Paid Time Off
- Retirement Options
- Education Reimbursement
- Onsite Fitness Classes
- Volunteer Days
- Winner of “Best Places to Work” 2016, 2018, 2019, 2021
- Worksite Health Award 2013-2019
RIHousing strives to ensure that all people who live or work in Rhode Island can afford a healthy, attractive home that meets their needs. A good home provides the foundation upon which individuals and families thrive, children learn and grow, and communities prosper.
To achieve our mission, we:
- Offer fair, affordable, and innovative lending programs.
- Provide housing-related education to consumers and others.
- Promote and finance sensible development that builds healthy, vibrant communities.
- Provide housing grants and subsidies to Rhode Islanders with the greatest need.
- Team up with partners to improve everything we do.
RIHousing uses its resources to provide low-interest loans, grants, education, and assistance to help Rhode Islanders find, rent, buy, build, and keep a good home. Created by the General Assembly in 1973, RIHousing is a privately funded public purpose corporation. RIHousing requires its employees to be highly motivated and knowledgeable, have a sound understanding of the changing needs of Rhode Island's housing market, be willing to work within and toward a smoothly integrated operation, demonstrate a commitment to serve the people of Rhode Island, especially those with low and moderate incomes in need of safe and affordable homes, and possess a high level of integrity and deep respect for all Rhode Islanders, including customers, partners and fellow employees.
Apply on company website - https://www.rihousing.com/careers/