Official Title: Program Manager VIII
Functional Title: Director of Field Operations
Primary Location: United States-Massachusetts-Worcester - 13 Sudbury St
Job: Administrative Services
Agency: Department of Housing & Community Development
Job Posting: Dec 17, 2020, 4:33:18 PM
Number of Openings: 1
Salary: $48,478.04 - $107,872.80 Yearly
Bargaining Unit: M99-Managers (EXE)
The Director of Field Operations in the Division of Housing Stabilization reporting to the Director of Housing Stabilization, oversees all field operations for Department of Housing and Community Development’s (DHCD’s) field offices co-located in the Department of Transitional Assistance Offices (DTA) throughout the Commonwealth. The Director provides direct supervision of the two Assistant Directors’ of Field Operations (North Shore Region and Central/Western Regions) and the Deputy Director of Field Operations who provides direct supervision to the Boston and South Shore regions. The Director interacts with the advocacy community and other community-based stakeholders as directed by the Director.
All field operations staff are DHCD employees co-located in DTA offices whereby the staff determine Emergency Assistance (EA) eligibility for families requesting emergency shelter.
Major Responsibilities Areas include:
1. Provides direction and guidance in the management of the Emergency Assistance (EA) Program to Deputy Director of Field Operations, Assistant Directors of Field Operations and staff. Ensures that there is an equitable distribution of staff among field offices and that the Assistant Directors are appropriately supervising and directing staff. Travel to and from the different offices to provide on-site supervision for the Assistant Directors.
2. Develops strategies to support and work with collateral agencies in the regions of the state where assigned offices are located, including partnering with DTA area and regional directors to ensure that EA services are delivered by DHCD staff in a collaborative manner with DTA cash assistance, Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) benefits and other benefits.
3. Participates with the Director, Deputy Director of Field Operations, and the Assistant Directors of Field Operations in the development of a training agenda that ensures that resources are available for the Field Staff.
4. Participates in the development of policies and procedures concerning labor relations, work assignment, performance appraisal and other administrative issues.
5. Collaborates with the Placement Unit to ensure that homeless families are placed into the most appropriate shelter.
6. Other duties, as assigned.
- Demonstrated ability to provide leadership and supervision for field staff responsible for effectively and efficiently delivering quality customer service within a trauma informed service delivery model.
- Experience working with State and Federal programs with complex regulations and policies and the demonstrated ability to develop necessary strategies for effective implementation.
- Exceptional negotiation, conflict resolution and coaching skills.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously as a result of effective planning, delegation and communication.
- Knowledge and experience in program policy and development, analysis and program evaluation including the demonstrated ability to anticipate and identify problems and develop solutions that are creative, innovative, and flexible.
- Understanding of issues of poverty and diverse low-income populations.
- Demonstrated ability to create collaborative partnerships with multiple stakeholders including community-based organizations, local coalitions, faith based groups, service providers and consumers.
- Excellent verbal and written communication and reporting skills.
- Ability to travel to different offices located state-wide up to 75%.
The Department of Housing and Community Development (DHCD) is within the Housing and Economic Development Secretariat and its work touches the lives of all Massachusetts residents. DHCD's mission is to strengthen cities, towns and neighborhoods to enhance the quality of life of Massachusetts residents by providing leadership, professional assistance and financial resources to promote safe, decent, affordable housing opportunities, economic vitality of communities and sound municipal management.
Please upload resume and cover letter.
Salary placement is determined by years of experience and education directly related to the position and the Human Resources Division’s Recruiting Guidelines.
Education, licensure and certifications will be verified in accordance with the Human Resources Division’s Hiring Guidelines. Education and license/certification information provided by the selected candidate(s) is subject to the Massachusetts Public Records Law and may be published on the Commonwealth’s website.
A criminal and background check will be completed on the recommended candidate as required by the regulations set forth by the Human Resources Division prior to the candidate being hired.
MINIMUM ENTRANCE REQUIREMENTS:
Applicants must have at least (A) six (6) years of full-time or, equivalent part-time, professional, administrative, supervisory, or managerial experience in business administration, business management, public administration, public management, clinical administration or clinical management of which (B) at least two (2) years must have been in a supervisory or managerial capacity or (C) any equivalent combination of the required experience and substitutions below.
I. A certificate in a relevant or related field may be substituted for one (1) year of the required (A) experience.
II. A Bachelor’s degree in a related field may be substituted for two (2) years of the required (A) experience.
III. A Graduate degree in a related field may be substituted for three (3) years of the required (A) experience.
IV. A Doctorate degree in a related field may be substituted for four (4) years of the required (A) experience.
If you have Diversity, Affirmative Action or Equal Employment Opportunity questions or need a Reasonable Accommodation, please contact Diversity Officer / ADA Coordinator: Marjorie Lalli - 617-573-1254
An Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer. Females, minorities, veterans, and persons with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.