Support Staff (Direct Care)
Family Programs/Individual Shelters
Father Bill’s & MainSpring is committed to ending and preventing homelessness in Southern Massachusetts with programs that provide emergency and permanent housing and help people obtain skills, jobs, housing, and services. We help people who are struggling with homelessness or are at risk of homelessness to achieve self-sufficiency.
Father Bill’s & MainSpring is a growing and dynamic social service agency with particular expertise in emergency and permanent housing, job training and placement, and prevention services for individuals and families in need. Over the next five years, our strategic focus includes an increase in affordable, permanent supportive housing, a more efficient model of care for families experiencing homelessness, commitment to an enhanced delivery model to reduce the need for shelter, and improved community relations in order to achieve these goals. Our staff are thoughtful and caring individuals who share our passion for these ideals and creative approaches to helping people improve their lives.
We offer a generous benefits package and a comprehensive orientation and training program, as well as ample opportunities for advancement for qualified individuals who show a commitment to our Mission.
Support staff are responsible for the day to day interactions with participants in the shelter facilities, including smooth functioning of the facility during assigned shift, maintaining the safety and security of the building and conducting intakes of participants in accordance with program policy. This person is required to collaborate with team members regularly in order to make appropriate decisions throughout the shift in accordance with program guidelines. The support staff position is an excellent opportunity to enter the human service field and receive comprehensive training and professional development. Support Staff help to create a supportive and welcoming environment for all guests who interact with our shelter facilities through supportive engagement and respectful communication. This position requires a High School Diploma or equivalency, and experience working in a residential setting is a plus. Part-time and Full-time positions are available.
- Ensure the safety of guests and site.
- Enforce rules and regulations to ensure smooth operation of the site
- Respond effectively to emergency situations, document appropriately and communicate according to the established guidelines.
- Complete intake process.
- Provide support and structure, being attentive to guest/resident problems or concerns.
- Initiate crisis intervention when necessary.
- Record documentation as required by program guidelines.
- Required to attend and actively participate in meetings and trainings as requested.
- Monitor security cameras.
- Communicate concerns regarding behaviors, health and safety to appropriate staff/personnel.
- Monitor entry to site and telephones with the upmost professionalism.
- Maintain privacy of resident/guest information in accordance with agency policies, procedures and practices and as required by law.
- Maintain professional boundaries.
- Complete all shift tasks according to program guidelines.
- Complete inspections as required by guidelines.
Skills & Competencies:
- Empathy: An understanding and empathy for those dealing with homelessness and related issues.
- Professionalism: Maintains the highest level of professionalism in the delivery of services, building of relationships, collaboration with co-workers, and representation of Father Bill’s & MainSpring within the organization and the community.
- Communication: Speaks appropriately in positive and/or negative conversations with supervisors, co-workers, volunteers, donors and constituents; Articulates the goals of Father Bill’s & MainSpring.
- Record-Keeping: Routine clerical or record-keeping incidental to the essential responsibilities of the job (including, but not limited to, data entry and case file updates).
- Job Knowledge: Possesses the practical and technical knowledge required on the job.
- Attendance: Acceptable overall attendance record, consistently at work and on time.
- Reliability: Relied upon regarding task completion and follow-up. Follows instructions, responds to management direction and solicits feedback to improve performance.
- Initiative: Seeks out new assignments and is willing to be flexible with additional duties.
- Adherence to Policy: Follows safety and workplace expectations, regulations and processes as defined in the Employee Handbook.
- Work Ethic: Demonstrates a commitment to the Mission and adheres to the Operating Principles of Father Bill’s & MainSpring and works as part of a team toward a common goal.
- Safety & Security: Actively promotes and personally observes safety and security procedures, and uses equipment and materials properly.
- Travel: Local travel may be required. Valid driver’s license and good driving record required.
- Physical Demands: The demands described below are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Must be able to verbally convey detailed information or important instructions or ideas accurately or quickly. Must be able to hear average or normal conversations and receive ordinary information. Average visual acuity is necessary.
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive list of activities, duties or responsibilities required of the employee. Other duties as assigned may be part of the job.
Father Bill’s & MainSpring is an equal opportunity employer.
Send cover letter & resume to email@example.com and indicate in subject line of email position you are applying for.