280 Franklin Street
Homeowner’s Rehab, Inc. (HRI) is a private non-profit organization founded in 1972. Over the past 25 years HRI has shifted its focus to include rental properties as a means to maintain and create new opportunities for households that cannot compete in this housing market. We strive to support both mixed-income communities and 100% affordable communities with safe, decent and affordable housing.
To oversee and supervise all accounting transactions and financial reporting of our four 501C-3 non-profit organizations, namely; Homeowner's Rehab, Inc. (HRI), Cambridge Neighborhood Apartment Housing Services, Inc., (CNAHS), Cambridge Community Housing, Inc., (CCHI) and Cambridge Community Housing Development, Inc., (CCHDI). In addition, we currently have 11 Limited Partnerships/LLC’s, and other affiliates to account for. To provide assistance to the Director of Finance and other Senior staff, as special projects become necessary from time to time. The Controller will also supervise the Bookkeeper.
The Controller reports to the Director of Finance.
- Supervise the Bookkeeper and be responsible for the accounting function of the organizations and affiliates.
- Review and approve monthly bank reconciliations as prepared by the Bookkeeper and preparation of the monthly CNAHS Treasurer’s Report.
- Processing payroll and retirement plan contributions, maintenance of all payroll files, including I-9 forms. Review of quarterly payroll tax reporting as generated by payroll provider.
- Provide administration of all fringe benefit plans, such as the 403b Plan, Flexible Spending Plans and any others as they may occur.
- Maintain and update the Chart of Accounts, prepare and post all necessary financial journal entries.
- Review of monthly requisitions to the City of Cambridge for administration and loan pool funds, obtain necessary signatures and insure timely delivery.
- Input monthly loan payments, generate monthly statements to borrowers.
- Maintain updated loan receivables ledger and alert appropriate staff when payments are not received.
- Preparation of quarterly financial reporting for HRI and CNAHS.
- Preparation of reports, quarterly, in compliance with the terms of the City contracts.
- Preparation of journal entries to record cash receipts and disbursements of any funds held by HRI, as they may relate to CCHI, CCHDI or any of the affiliates. Coordination with the Management Company’s accounting staff on any audit related issues, as necessary.
- Preparation of all invoices to the Management Companies for asset management, resident services, construction supervision, incentive management fees, etc. that arise at various times during the year. ·
- Assistance with all the annual audits, cost certifications and tax returns, by preparing the necessary schedules along with compiling the appropriate supporting documentation.
- Review and prepare for signature and delivery, all annual IRS filings, including 990’s, 1099's, 1098's and 1096's.
- Perform other administrative and accounting functions, in support of the Director of Finance as deemed necessary.
- Bachelor's Degree in Accounting from an accredited college or university required, MBA and/or CPA, preferred.
- Five to seven years of progressive accounting experience is also required.
- Extensive knowledge of accounting principles and procedures.
- Experience in a supervisory capacity is preferred.
- Knowledge of payroll, insurance and human resources would be beneficial.
- Being able to handle multiple projects at a given time.
- Working knowledge of and experience with non-profit accounting, as well as for profit accounting.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Attention to detail and deadline oriented.
- Knowledge of Uniform Guidance and Low-Income Housing Tax Credits preferred.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Outlook, Excel and Word, as well as various accounting software products including Quick Books and Blackbaud’s Financial Edge.
We offer competitive compensation and good benefits.
Homeowner’s Rehab, Inc., is an equal opportunity employer committed to ensuring diversity in its workplace, and candidates from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. We consider qualified applicants for employment regardless of expression, age, color, religion, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, or any other protected class.
Please send a cover letter and a copy of your resume to <firstname.lastname@example.org>.