Official Title: Attorneys/Legal Services
Functional Title: Contracted Attorney
Primary Location: United States-Massachusetts-Boston-100 Cambridge Street
Job: Legal Services
Agency: Department of Housing & Community Development
Job Posting: Mar 22, 2021, 9:35:00 AM
Number of Openings: 1
Salary: $39.25 - $40.51 Hourly
The Department of Housing and Community Development (DHCD) is seeking a contract attorney for a one-year period with an estimated start date of 4/26/21 and end date of 4/22/22 to provide legal services and support to DHCD staff with a primary focus on a new COVID-19 emergency federal rental assistance program.
The ideal candidate has experience providing legal assistance and support to new programs as they are developed and implemented, working collaboratively with program staff, and has knowledge of established rental assistance programs such as Section 8, MRVP, AHVP or other rental assistance programs. The candidate should possess exceptional analytical and communication skills, take initiative, and have demonstrated ability managing and prioritizing multiple assignments and meeting tight deadlines. The incumbent should also possess excellent writing, legal research, and advocacy skills, with good judgment in making decisions and offering advice. Lastly, the candidate should have demonstrated proficiency using Microsoft (MS) Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES (these duties are a general summary and not all inclusive; duties may vary depending on the level of experience of the successful candidate):
Perform legal work required to develop and implement a new federal COVID-19 emergency rental assistance program, including working cooperatively with program staff on the following:
- Participate in policy discussions and meetings,
- Draft and review rules, regulations, administrative plans, guidelines, legal opinions and legislation,
- Participate in the procurement process, as necessary, by drafting or reviewing Requests for Responses, or scoring responses,
- Draft and negotiate contracts or contract amendments,
- Participate in developing a standardized form of rental assistance application and other standardized program documents,
- Provide written and oral legal advice to the program staff as the program is being developed and implemented,
- Interpret federal, state and local law, regulations, guidelines and DHCD policy with regard to their impact on the new COVID-19 federal rental assistance program,
- Participate in training sessions, as necessary,
- Other related duties as General Counsel may require.
1. At least 3 years of experience working as an attorney.
2. Knowledge of rental assistance programs, such as Section 8, MRVP, AHVP or similar type of rental assistance program.
3. Strong academic credentials.
4. Good judgment in making decisions and offering advice.
5. Ability to read and comprehend statutes and regulations.
6. Ability to research applicable law, apply law to facts, and draft legal memoranda and opinions, and draft or orally state understandable, succinct and accurate applications of law to factual situations.
7. Excellent oral and written communication skills.
8. Experience that evidences excellent analytical skills and pro-active problem solving skills.
9. Computer knowledge and skills including, at a minimum, at least intermediate proficiency using Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
10. Experience that evidences ability to independently determine specific tasks needed to accomplish an assignment; to prioritize work; to complete assignments in a timely and satisfactory manner; and to carry out multiple assignments simultaneously.
11. Knowledge of judicial ethics; excellent independent judgment, interpersonal skills and personal integrity.
12. Ability to maintain accurate and thorough records and files.
13. Experience that evidences willingness to exercise initiative and to respond rapidly and responsibly to unanticipated events, issues and/or inquiries.
The Department of Housing and Community Development (DHCD) is within the Housing and Economic Development Secretariat and its work touches the lives of all Massachusetts residents. DHCD's mission is to strengthen cities, towns and neighborhoods to enhance the quality of life of Massachusetts residents by providing leadership, professional assistance and financial resources to promote safe, decent, affordable housing opportunities, economic vitality of communities and sound municipal management.
Please attach a resume, cover letter and writing sample with your application.
This is a contractor position working up to 37.5 hours per week. The hourly rate for this position is between $39.25 and $40.51. The estimated contract start date is 4/26/21 with a contract end date of 4/22/22. The contract may be extended based on availability of additional funding.
Benefits are unavailable with the exception of sick leave accruals.
State and federal taxes will be withheld. In addition the contractor must participate in the Alternative Retirement Program mandated by federal law.
All employees will be paid on a biweekly basis and must have direct deposit.
Salary placement is determined by years of experience and education directly related to the position and the Human Resources Division’s Recruiting Guidelines.
Education, licensure and certifications will be verified in accordance with the Human Resources Division’s Hiring Guidelines. Education and license/certification information provided by the selected candidate(s) is subject to the Massachusetts Public Records Law and may be published on the Commonwealth’s website.
MINIMUM ENTRANCE REQUIREMENTS:
Applicants must have a Juris Doctor (JD) degree, admission to the Massachusetts Bar and some experience in legal research, legal writing, and legal procedures and processes.
An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. Females, minorities, veterans, and persons with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.
If you have Diversity, Affirmative Action or Equal Employment Opportunity questions or need a Reasonable Accommodation, please contact Diversity Officer / ADA Coordinator: Marjorie Lalli - 617-573-1254