594 Columbia Road
About the Role
Reporting to the Director of Small Business, the Business Assistance Officer is responsible for performing all aspects of technical assistance services and will support Dorchester Bay’s business development efforts by delivering direct technical assistance to entrepreneurs and small businesses in Dorchester Bay’s service area with a particular focus on deepening technical assistance to Dorchester businesses.
What you can expect to do in the role:
- Coordinate outreach plans and provide individualized technical assistance in addition to workshop/trainings to area entrepreneurs, small businesses, and potential borrowers.
- Build/maintain a network of local organizations, commercial banks, other financial institutions, and representatives from city and state government to elevate Dorchester Bay’s profile and
- Provide pre-loan technical assistance to new or existing business borrowers.
- Collaborate with commercial banks, credit unions, and other financial institutions to expand access to technical assistance and capital.
- Partner with Uphams Corner Main Streets and other Main Streets organizations to increase awareness of Dorchester Bay small business programming.
- Coordinate regular engagement events for small businesses in Uphams Corner to understand the needs of the business community and connect businesses to resources.
- Participate in internal and external committees including MACDC’s Small Business Peer Group/Community Business Network to advance the small business agenda and collaborate with peers and other technical assistance service providers.
- Tracks and reports program performance data and outcomes for the purpose of reporting to funders and obtaining grants for the program.
Qualifications – You’ll do well in this role if you:
- Want to work at an organization that is committed to racial equity and serves a diverse community predominantly of color.
- Are people and community-focused and have the ability to engage people from a wide array of backgrounds.
- Understand and demonstrated commitment to racial equity.
- Have at least three years of experience in business counseling and/or providing technical assistance to micro and small businesses in multicultural and marginalized communities.
- Excellent computer skills (Microsoft Word, Excel, and Power Point), including CRM, spreadsheet, internet, and social media proficiency.
- Are energized and motivated to assist entrepreneurs and small business owners with emphasis in serving challenged and under-resourced small businesses represented by minority, immigrants, and women owned clientele in Dorchester Bay’s target communities.
- Have experience coordinating, promoting, and presenting educational activities, business related curricula, and coordinating with sponsors and with pro bono instructors/presenters to deliver the program.
- Utilize effectively culturally appropriate resources to assist business clients, and program participants, who are highly represented by people of color from diverse communities.
- Have experience developing business and financial planning, including feasibility analysis for new and existing enterprises.
- Can demonstrate your understanding how to develop and read financial statements, ratios, cash flow, and forecasting.
- Is organized and a goal-oriented thinker who can set clear priorities among multiple tasks and stay focused on project benchmarks and deadlines.
- If you are highly motivated, nimble, and comfortable navigating change and ambiguity. Ability to function autonomously and be a strong collaborator is required.
- Can work occasional evening or weekend to support activities needed outside of regular business hours.
- Can work in physical environments (this is not a virtual position).
It would be additionally phenomenal if you:
- Can effectively communicate in English as well as Spanish, Cape Verdean Kriolu, Haitian Kreyòl, or Vietnamese.
- Have experience working for a mission-based organization that serves a community of color.
- Knowledge of Boston’s neighborhoods and relationships across Boston’s small business ecosystem.
Other important details:
- Don’t be discouraged from applying if you don’t “check all the boxes”. We appreciate the uniqueness of candidates and there is no “perfect’ resume!
- Salary range: $70,000 - $80,000
DBEDC’s total compensation package features an amazing set of benefits which we considered towards the overall compensation, including:
- (5) Generous cost-sharing medical insurance packages for selection and no eligible waiting period.
- Employer paid Dental and Vision coverage
- Flexible Spending Account and Dependent Care Assistance program
- Short-Term Disability, Long-Term Disability, Life and Accident Death
- Commuter Benefits Program
- Employee Wellbeing On-Demand Services
- Perks at Work Program
- 3 personal days
- 3 weeks’ vacation to start
- 15 sick days
- 17 paid holidays
- Birthday leave
- 5 volunteer days
- 403 (b) plan with generous employer contribution
- Flexible hybrid work environment
To apply for this opportunity, please click here or visit https://j.brt.mv/jb.do?reqGK=27693237. Please submit a cover letter, detailing your interest and qualifications for this opportunity, along with a resume. No phone calls or letters please.