215 Pleasant Street
POSITION: HOME Director
DEPARTMENT: Office of Strategic Planning and Community Development (OSPCD)
SALARY: $83,033.25 - $91,653.19
The HOME Director serves as the primary staff member for the HOME Investment Partnerships (HOME) Program and HOME Investment Partnerships – American Rescue Plan (HOME-ARP) Program for the North Suburban Consortium (NSC) for which the City of Malden is the lead agency. The Office of Strategic Planning and Community Development manages and administers these Programs on behalf of the City of Malden and the NSC, which is comprised of eight municipalities (Malden, Revere, Chelsea, Everett, Medford, Melrose, Arlington, and Winthrop) and receives federal funds from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) to acquire, rehabilitate, and construct affordable rental and homeownership opportunities and provide down payment and closing cost assistance. The HOME Director assists the OSPCD Director and the NSC municipal partners in the interpretation and implementation of state and federal laws, rules, regulations, and standards governing the HOME and HOME-ARP Programs as well as other applicable state and federal regulations, including Fair Housing and Equal Opportunity laws and environmental review standards. The HOME Director is supported with two part-time administrative assistants.
- Administer the Programs in accordance with federal, state, and municipal laws and regulations.
- Develop and oversee Program budgets, including approval of invoices and oversight of account funding availability.
- Oversee program and project implementation, including advising applicants of program policies and regulations, drafting commitment letters and agreements, preparing environmental reviews, reviewing due diligence items, underwriting, leading loan closings, reviewing affirmative fair housing marketing plans, tracking project performance, and maintaining project records.
- Prepare all Program planning and reporting materials for submission to HUD.
- Convene and Chair monthly NSC Board Meetings; prepare information for the Board on a regular basis (e.g., financial reports, project status reports, recommendations for funding).
- Coordinate with NSC municipal partners, federal and state agencies, community and housing development agencies, and local/regional non-profit agencies who partner with the NSC to develop, preserve and rehabilitate affordable housing and prevent homelessness.
- Oversee the performance of the NSC Loan Portfolio.
- Annually monitor affordable rental and homeownership units created through the Programs to demonstrate long-term compliance, including tenant income certification and inspection.
- Oversee and manage Program subrecipients.
- Prepare Requests for Proposals, make recommendations on proposals, and monitor contract performance.
- Annually certify Community Housing Development Organizations (CHDOs).
- Attend meetings and conferences on affordable housing financing, policy, and homeless issues.
- Other tasks as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree is required. Master’s degree or equivalent work experience in a related field is preferred.
- Knowledge and experience with HOME regulations and other applicable state and federal regulations including Fair Housing and Equal Opportunity laws and environmental review standards preferred.
- Broad understanding of affordable housing development and mortgage finance including due diligence, pro forma analysis, loan underwriting/closing and portfolio maintenance.
- Experience reviewing loan documents preferred.
- Computer skills and proficiency with all Microsoft Office programs.
- Multilingual ability preferred.
To Apply: Interested applicants should submit a cover letter and resume to Human Resources Director, City of Malden at firstname.lastname@example.org. Position will remain open until filled.
The selected candidates will need to submit to a Criminal Offenders Records Information Report (CORI) background check and pre-employment drug screening.
The City of Malden is committed to the full inclusion of all qualified individuals. As part of this commitment, the City of Malden will ensure that persons with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodations. If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and/or to receive other benefits and privilege of employment, please contact Human Resources at the address, e-mail address, and/or phone number above.