1035 Cambridge Street
The Just-A-Start Home Improvement Program is a Department of Housing & Urban Development funded program that assists eligible Cambridge homeowners in the planning, funding and completion of home rehabilitation and repair projects. JAS is seeking a Rehab Specialist to work with homeowners to define and prepare initial project scope and cost estimates, coordinate the bid process and monitor the home improvement work during the ongoing rehab phase. This is approximately a 20 - 25 hour per week position with the possibility of increasing hours.
What you will do:
- Inspect properties and prepare estimates, plans and specifications for construction, rehabilitation, and remodeling work/repairs
- Prepare documents for bid invitations and coordinate distribution of bid packages to qualified contractors
- Review bids/project cost proposals and award work to contractors after reviewing with and advising homeowners as to the most cost effective/beneficial renovation package
- Prepare schedule of values for construction payment draw down
- Monitor/inspect construction and rehabilitation projects for compliance with workmanship standards, specifications, adherence to code, property rehabilitation standards, contract conditions, and progress payment disbursement
- Approve homeowner & contractor/vendor progress & final payment requests
- Apprise homeowner of project progress and explain to them the different phases of construction and project timeline
- Assist in resolving any conflicts between homeowner and contractor
- Provide information regarding the Home Improvement Program, general housing rehabilitation & other programs to the public
- Collaborate with Cambridge Community Development Department, Cambridge Historical Commission, MassSave, Cambridge Fuel Assistance, Menotomy, Mass Rehab Commission and other as-designated agencies to maximize all project-related grants & funding sources
- On occasion, work with the Training and Education Department to support the integration of the agency’s Youth Training activities into housing construction jobs overseen by various agency programs.
You must have:
- Proven experience working with Federal, State and City building codes, ordinances and administrative orders applicable to building and construction trades
- Proven background in rehabilitation labor, material costs, and construction methods
- Proficient in MS Office Suite
- Proficiency/ability to quickly learn Housing Developer Pro (project scope and cost estimating software)
- Proven ability to work and communicate well with homeowners or other non-construction professionals
- Experience with government funded programs preferred
- Driver’s License and Vehicle
To apply, click on the link below.