January 22, 2018
January 22, 2018
18 tremont street
Boston, MA 02108
Preference related Barriers for Accessing Affordable Housing
We hosted Judith Liben & Andrea Park, Massachusetts Law Reform Institute, Thomas Plihcik, New Lease for Homeless Families, and Seth Michaelson, Project Hope to discuss solutions to improve screening process for accessing affordable housing.
- Discussion on the screening process for accessing affordable housing in relation to criminal record history, housing history (evictions) and credit history.
- Presentation on Overcoming the barriers to Access for Affordable Housing through Legal and Policy changes, Judith Liben, Senior Staff Attorney, Massachusetts Law Reform Institute (MLRI) and Andrea Park, Staff Attorney, MLRI. Click here for the slides.
- Presentation on New Lease's mitigation process for these barriers, Thomas Plihcik, Executive Director, New Lease for Homeless Families. Click here for the slides.
- Discussion moderated by Seth Michaelson, Director of Housing and Case Management, Project Hope
- Member Announcements
Click here for full meeting notes.
Links to useful resources:
Finding affordable housing:
- MLRI's comprehensive guide on finding affordable housing
- Mass.Gov website
- MassHousing financed housing
- Metro List
- Mass Access Registry (centralized affordable housing registry, funded by MA legislature)
Click here for information on Tenant Screening process.
Click here for information on how to challenge a denial for housing application.
Fair Housing Resources:
- Massachusetts Commission Against Discrimination
- Boston Fair Housing Commission
- Housing Discrimination Testing Program, Suffolk Law School
- Fair Housing Center of Greater Boston
- Boston's Fair Chance Ordinance
Upcoming event: Tenant's Rights in Massachusetts Training (MCLE) - February 6th, 2018.
Click here to see local anti-discrimination reentry policies adopted by other cities.
For more information, please contact Abhidnya Kurve at email@example.com.